Echarlens ( Freiburg Patois Tsèrlin? / I ) is a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. The former German name archipelago Lingen is no longer used today.
Echarlens is located on 716 m above sea level. M., 3.5 km north- northeast of the district main town cop (air line). The scattered village extends in the east of the creek Talniederung Sionge, at the southeast foot of Marly, west lake of Gruyère.
The area of 4.6 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the basin of Bulle in the Fribourg foothills of the Alps. In the East has Echarlens share of the lake area of the Gruyère lake. From here, the communal land extends westward over a relatively steep banks match up to the plateau between the Sionge and the lake. This plateau is bounded (the highest point of Echarlens above 807 m. M. ) in the south of the forest height Vaucens, in the north of the hill Joux d' Everdes. To the west of the plateau extends to the field in the Talniederung the lower Sionge. A small exclave located to the west of Riaz on the southern slope of the height Sur les Monts. From the municipality surface 1997 8 % were settlements, 15 % of forest and shrubs, 75 % to agriculture and about 2% was unproductive land.
To Echarlens include the hamlet Champotey (780 m above sea level. M. ) on the southern slope of the height of Joux d' Everdes, Bocherens (719 m above sea level. M. ) and Fontanoux (722 m above sea level. M. ) on the plateau as well as some individual farms. Neighboring communities of Echarlens are bull, Riaz, Marsens, Corbières and Morlon.
With 767 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Echarlens one of the smaller municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the 92.4 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 3.3 % and 2.2 % portugiesischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Echarlens amounted in 1850 to 440 residents in 1900 to 446 inhabitants. After peaking around 1920 (479 inhabitants), the population increased by strong migration to 1970 by almost 30 % to 337 persons. Since then, a rapid increase in population (especially during the 1990s ) was recorded again.
Echarlens was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, animal husbandry and dairy farming, and to a lesser extent agriculture an important role in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are in small local manufacturing and services available. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Most workers are therefore commuters who work in the regions Bulle and Fribourg.
The community is easily accessible via. It is located near the main road from Fribourg to Bulle; a link road leads to a bridge over a narrow lake of Gruyère by Corbières. The nearest links to the A12, which is open since 1981 from Bern to Vevey throughout, located approximately 3 km from the center. By Bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois that runs from Bulle to Freiburg via La Roche, Echarlens is connected to the public transport network.
The territory of Echarlens was settled very early, which is attested by traces of the Hallstatt period and remains an inhabited by Christ from the 1st to 3rd century Roman estate. The first documentary mention of the place was already in the year 851 under the name Escarlinges. Later, the names Scarlens ( 1145 ), Escharleins ( 1225 ), Ash Allen ( 1228 ), Echarlans (1668 ) and Echerlens (1806 ) published. The place name is derived from the Burgundian personal names Skarilo and means with the suffix -ene as much as the people of Skarilo.
Since the Middle Ages Echarlens belonged first to rule Corbières, came in 1225 with the spin-off of the west of the Sarine lying areas to the newly formed dominion Vuippens and in their division in 1269 to the rule Everdes. The Everdes castle was located on the present-day municipality. Under the impact of the Burgundian Wars came Echarlens 1475 at Freiburg, which provided the Kastlan, who officiated at the castle Everdes.
1553 Echarlens was assigned to the newly formed Bailiwick Vuippens - Everdes. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic and the subsequent time to 1848 to the then district bull before it was incorporated in the district of Gruyère.
Already in the 11th century Echarlens was a parish. Today, the village has two churches and two chapels. The present church was built in 1924-27 by the architect Fernand Dumas. The previous church, built in 1626, is no longer used.