Édouard Paul Dhorme
He entered the Dominican Order, a young ( religious name Paul ) and received his education at the École biblique in Jerusalem, where he taught as a professor since 1904 and was a Director since 1927. Since 1932, he taught at the École pratique des hautes études, from 1945 he was professor of Assyriology to the Collège de France. In 1951 he retired.
One of his major works dealt with the religions of Babylonia and Assyria. The French translation of the Old Testament was published under his direction in the prestigious Bibliothèque de la Pléiade books series at Gallimard.
Since 1948 he was a regular member of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles Lettres.
- Choix de textes religieux Assyro- Babylonian ( = Études bibliques ). Lecoffre, Paris, 1907.
- La religion Assyro- babylonienne. Conférences. 2nd edition. Lecoffre, Paris 1910.
- Les livres de Samuel ( = Études bibliques ). Lecoffre, Paris 1910.
- Le livre de Job ( = Études bibliques ). Lecoffre, Paris 1926 (A Commentary on the Book of Job. Translated by Harold Knight. Foreword by Francis I. Andersen. Thomas Nelson Publishers, Nashville TN, inter alia, 1984, ISBN 0-8407-5421-3 ).
- La Poésie biblique. Introduction à la poésie et biblique 30 chants de circonstance ( = Collection de la ' Vie chrétienne. " Volume 6, ZDB - ID 2214718-4 ). Grasset, Paris, 1931.
- Les Religions de Babylonian et d' Assyrie ( = mana department. Les Anciennes religion orientalis Volume 2. ). Presses Universitaires de France, Paris 1945 (. 2nd Edition ibid. 1949), ( in each case together with: René Dussaud: Les religion of the Hittites et des Hourrites of Phéniciens et of Syria. ).
- Recueil Edouard Dhorme. Études bibliques et orientales. Imprimerie Nationale, Paris 1951.
- La Bible. Gallimard, Paris, 1956 ( Dhorme was involved in the translation of the Old Testament ).