Egolzwil seen from Wauwilermoos from
Egolzwil is a municipality in the constituency Willisau the canton of Lucerne in Switzerland.
- 4.1 Tourism
- 4.2 traffic
The village lies on the edge of the silted Wauwilersees on the southern branch of the Sante mountain. This is called Egolzwilerberg and reaches a height of 701 m above sea level The municipality belongs to the Wauwilermoos Prison and the district Engelberg ( 625 m asl, 800 m northeast of the village ), the former owner ( the monastery of Engelberg ) owes its name. From the municipality 62.1 % is used for agriculture, 23.9 % is covered by forest and woodland and 12.9 % settlement area. Belongs to this community and the remnant of the Wauwilersees - the 339 Aren large Egolzwilersee ( 110x270m ).
The population grew until 1850, sharply, then dropped steadily until 1920 and then grew up to the year 2000. Since then stagnation has occurred.
The population used a high- Alemannic dialect as a spoken language. From the population speak ( as of 2000) 92.99 % German, Serbo-Croatian 2.28% and 1.22 % Albanian as their main language / everyday language.
Religions - faiths
Residents are traditionally Roman Catholics. Today ( as of 2000) provides for the religious situation as follows: 80.59 % Roman Catholics, 7.75% Evangelical Reformed, 2.37% Orthodox Christians, Muslims 2.28% and 2.20% non-religious.
Origin and nationality
End of 2006, the population of 1'167 Swiss citizens and 108 foreigners existed ( = 8.5%). At the last census in 2000, 88.01 % were (including dual citizens 90,95 % ) Swiss. When the foreigners are in the majority Serbs, Albanians, Croats and Bosniaks. There are also larger groups from Turkey, Germany, Italy, Austria and the British Isles.
The people are sovereign. It can be shown by means of voting, elections, and at the community meeting.
The municipal council is elected by the voting citizens every four years and proceedings on behalf of the residents, the fate of the community. In Egolzwil it consists of five persons who are part-time working.
In the last elections in 2003, the CVP received 46.19 % of the vote and became the strongest party. In addition, the FDP achieved 36.91 % and 11.39% voters SVP shares. Other parties received only a few votes.
Previously Egolzwil was a farming village with vegetable and peat-cutters as the main employment. Today ( as of 2001) are still merely 12.5 % of the workforce employed in agriculture (17 farms ). In industrial and commercial work 24.2% - 63.3 % earn a living while in service occupations. The number of commuters was in the year 2000 456 who find work in neighboring communities in Sursee and the city of Lucerne. There was the same year as 211 commuters (mostly from the region).
Although Egolzwil is on the railway line Olten- Lucerne, but it still does not stop. The nearest train station is 1.3 km east of the village in Wauwil. The train station Nebikon is not much further away. Since no bus leads to Egolzwil, the resort is one of the few settlements in Canton without connection to public transport. The motorway Dagmersellen Sursee and 6, respectively. 9 km away.
The community is named after the so-called Egolzwiler culture. In the past 100 years of the 1859 dry-laid Wauwilersees settlement remains, tools and ceramics came during excavations at the former border from the time 4'500 - 4'300 BC to the fore. Thus, the place is actually the oldest settlement in the canton of Lucerne. In historical times, the village was first mentioned in 1081. In 1150 the name Egolswil appears for the first time. By 1300, the village belonged to the Habsburgs in 1407 and fell to Lucerne. The municipality belongs since 1803 to the then newly formed District Willisau. From 1941 to 1945 consisted Wauwilermoos southwest of the village a notorious internment camp for prisoners of war. The camp commander treated the prisoners often in inhuman ways. The camp is used as cantonal prison since 1949.
The village has a kindergarten and a primary school. From the 7th grade school children have to attend classes in neighboring Wauwil.
In the years 1895/1896 built by August Hardegger Gothic village church Heart of Jesus is the architectural highlight of the village. Among the scenic Höhepünkten counts of Egolzwilersee, the last remnant of the once great Wauwilersees. Because of its rare plants along the banks of this is since 1969 a nature reserve.
There is a legend of a castle, which once occupied the Egolzwilersee and but was on solid ground. With a curse, it went under and was bewitched with murderous underwater swirls.
Church of Egolzwil
Village of Egolzwil