Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu ( ekmeɫeddiŋ ihsɑnoɰlu, listen / i;? * 1943 in Cairo ) is a Turkish chemist and science historian, longtime director of the OIC was Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture ( IRCICA ) in Istanbul and the Organization of the Islamic since 2005 Secretary General Conference (OIC).
İhsanoğlu grew up in Egypt and studied from 1962 to 1966 science at the Ain -Shams University in Cairo, where he obtained a B.Sc. degree. During his studies he worked in the National Library in Cairo in the cataloging of Ottoman manuscripts and books and taught Turkish language and literature. In the following years worked in the Department of Chemistry, Al -Azhar University, where he received the Master of Science in Chemistry in 1970.
In 1970, he moved to Turkey and received his doctorate in 1974 at Ankara University in organic chemistry. This was followed from 1975 to 1977 a stay as a research assistant in the University of Exeter in the UK at. 1970-1980 he worked as a lecturer at the University of Ankara, since 1978, in addition to the Inonu University in Malatya.
OIC Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture ( IRCICA )
1980 İhsanoğlu General of the newly established Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture ( IRCICA ), which is a subsidiary organization of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC). IRCICA is based in the Yildiz Palace in Istanbul. In 1984 he founded the Department of History of Science at the University of Istanbul and headed it until its closure by the Turkish Higher Education Council YOK in 2000. At the same time he was director of the Turkish Society for History of Science and the Museum and Documentation Centre for the History of Science at the University of Istanbul. In 2003 he was a visiting professor at the Ludwig- Maximilians- University in Munich. He is a member of numerous national and international scientific organizations.
Secretary General of the OIC
In December 2004, a Turkish candidate was elected Secretary General of the Organization of the Islamic Conference with him for the first time.
He was one of the 138 signatories of the open letter A Common Word between Us and You (English A Common Word Between Us and You), the personalities of Islam to "leaders of Christian churches everywhere" (English " Leaders of Christian Churches, everywhere ... " ) submitted (13 October 2007).
İhsanoğlu has been repeatedly awarded for his services to the scientific history of the Ottoman Empire.
- Mimar Sinan University (1994 )
- Dowling College ( 1996)
- National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan (2000)
- University of Sofia ( 2001)
- University of Sarajevo (2001)
- Tatarstan Academy of Science ( 2004)
- University of Padua (2006)
- University of Exeter (2007)
- Islamic University of Islamabad ( 2007)
- University of the Middle East (2008)
- Usak Üniversitesi (2008)
- Islamic University Uganda ( 2008)
- Islamic University of Technology (2009)
- International Islamic University Malaysia ( 2010)
- Bashkir State Pedagogical University ( 2010)
- Bishkek Humanities University (2011)
- Medal of Distinction of the First Order ( 1990) awarded by the Egyptian President
- Independence Medal, First Class (1996 ) awarded by the Jordanian king
- Medal of Distinguished State Service (2000) awarded by the Turkish President
- Commandeur de l' Ordre National du Mérite (2002) awarded by the Senegalese President
- Commandeur de l' Ordre National du Lion (2006) awarded by the Senegalese President
- Medal of Glory ( 2006) awarded by the President of Azerbaijan
- Medal of Glory ( 2006) awarded by the President of Russia
- State Medal ( 2009) awarded by the Egyptian President
- Hilal -i Pakistan ( 2010) awarded by the President of Pakistan
- Koyré Medal (12 December 2008), the Académie Internationale d' Histoire des Sciences "/" International Academy of the History of Science "( la Sorbonne )
- Darjah Kebesaran Setia Mahkota award ( PSM) and the title Tan Sri (2009 ) by the Malaysian King
- Peace and Dialogue Award ( 2009) by the Rumi Forum