Potential compensation refers to a highly electrically conductive connection that minimizes different electrical potentials. The basic requirement for equipotential bonding results from the " requirements for protection against electric shock" and is established internationally in IEC 60364-4-41:2005 and for Germany in DIN VDE 0100-410:2007-06. The connection of all conductive body ( casing) of electrical equipment to a grounded protective conductor and connected to the main ground bus is the basis for the protection against electric shock. The priority mentioned in the VDE protective measure of " automatic disconnection of power supply in case of error" is ensured by standardized version with subsequent testing of the system. By testing the sufficiently small loop impedance for the automatic shutdown in the event of an error is detected.
The technical design for the potential equalization, the dimensions of the cross sections and the standardized terms arise from IEC 60364-5-54:2011 and for Germany from DIN VDE 0100:540:2012-06
The equipotential bonding must be installed in the house connection of any building. Involve, in addition to the grounding conductor and the protective conductors of the power supply also all protective bonding conductors. All of these conductors must be brought together on a main ground bus. About the grounding wire to connect to the foundation is established or in old buildings without foundation earth with a retrofitted other grounding device. It is possible that connections from foundation to the derivatives of a lightning protection system (LPS).
Definition according to VDE
According to DIN VDE 0100 part 200 of the equipotential bonding is defined as follows: " making electrical connections between conductive parts to achieve potential equality".
The protective bonding is the bonding between all leading into a building extraneous conductive parts ( such as metal, water, sewer lines or gas lines ( with insulating piece ) ) as well as " extraneous conductive parts in the building " as metal piping, air conditioning, heating and / or " conductive parts in the hand area of persons " and the main earth bar.
All of these parts are to be connected by means of protective bonding conductors to the main earth bar.
Local potential equalization
A local potential equalization is an equipotential bonding between all electrically conductive parts in a room or area and the protective conductor of the guided into the room or area for low-voltage lines.
It is prescribed in accordance with DIN VDE 0100 group 700 in rooms and areas with special hazards:
- Locations containing a bath or shower ( part 701) - only if no protective bonding is given over the main ground bus.
- Basins of swimming pools and other basins ( part 702 ), sauna
- Agricultural and horticultural premises ( part 705)
- Medical premises (Part 710)
- Wet rooms (so are generally " no " domestic showers and baths meant )
- Fire hazard areas
- Hazardous areas
- Industrial Building
High voltage power lines, overhead lines, rails
Main article: electrolytic corrosion, traction power, Electricity Pylon, catenary
- DIN VDE 0100-200:2006-06 Erection of low- voltage equipment - Vocabulary
- DIN VDE 0100-410:2007-06 Erection of low voltage installations - Protection for safety - Protection against electric shock
- DIN VDE 0100-540:2012-06 Erection of low voltage installations - Selection and erection of electrical equipment - Earthing arrangements, protective conductors and protective bonding conductors
- DIN VDE 0100-701:2008-10 Erection of low voltage installations - Requirements for special installations or locations and special installations or locations - Locations containing a bath or shower
- DIN VDE 0100-702:2012-03 Erection of low voltage installations - Requirements for special installations or locations and special installations or locations - pools of swimming pools, walk-in pool and fountain
- DIN VDE 0100-705:2007-10 Erection of low voltage installations - Requirements for special installations or locations and special installations or locations - Electrical installations of agricultural and horticultural premises
- DIN VDE 0100-710:2002-11 Erection of low voltage installations - Requirements for special installations or locations and special installations or locations - Medical premises,
- DIN EN 60728-11 VDE 0855-1:2011-06 Cable networks for television signals, sound signals and interactive services; safety requirements
- DIN EN 60079 (VDE 0165): Potential compensatory measures in hazardous areas