Elias Holl ( born February 28, 1573 in Augsburg, † January 6, 1646 ) was an Augsburg architect of the German Renaissance. Holl sat in its architecture, especially with the embossed by Andrea Palladio tradition of northern Italy apart.
Elias Holl was born in Augsburg city, Werbhausgasse 2. He came from a family of builders. Early on, his father taught him Hans Holl ( 1512-1594 ). 1596 put Elias Holl from the master craftsman. After a stay in Italy in the years 1600/ 01 - he traveled about Bolzano to Venice - it was 1602 " foreman " of Augsburg. In 1629 he lost his position as city architect because of his Protestant faith. Since then, he was only dubbed " Stadtgeometer ".
Holl died in the Kapuzinergasse 14, not 500 meters as the crow flies from his birthplace. His grave is in the Protestant cemetery in Augsburg.
Holl's bust -up took place in the hall of fame in Munich. The area behind the Augsburg town hall has been named in his honor Elias - Holl -Platz.
Holl's main work is the Augsburger Rathaus (1615-1620) with the golden hall in the style of the late Renaissance, which was created as part of its urban renewal program and by its height and the increase in the neighboring Perlachturm tower (1614-1616) necessitated by Holl.
Most of the works Holl from before the town hall has been suggested that they. Purposes only versions of drafts of the painter Joseph Heintz the Elder be regarded (since 1597 sporadically in Augsburg) and Matthias Kager (since 1603 in Augsburg). Both have certainly contributed significantly to convey formal repertoire of the Italian Cinquecento to southern Germany and Augsburg, their actual share of the work Holl is unclear. In dealing with their style and Holl gradually found his own, usually quite sober design.
Holl's buildings dominate large parts of the historic city of Augsburg: The Armoury (1602-1607), the Wertachbrucker Gate ( 1605 ) and the Stadtmetzg (1609 ), the gymnasium at St. Anna ( 1613 ), the New construction ( 1614), the Red gate ( 1622) and the Heilig - Geist-Spital ( 1626-1631, now the headquarters of Augsburg Puppet Theatre ) and the cast house in today's A. B. von Stetten 's institute are just some of its still existing or reconstructed buildings.
Furthermore Holl delivered 1606, the designs for the Holy Trinity Church in Haunsheim and 1608 for the Gemmingenbau the Willibaldsburg to Eichstätt. The plans for Schwarzenberg Palace (1608-1618) are also from him.