Embankment tube station
Embankment is an underground station of the London Underground in the district of Charing Cross in the City of Westminster. It lies at the southern end of the station Charing Cross, in Travelcard Zone 1 In the year 2011 there were 19.79 million passengers use the station.
Is operated by the station by the Circle Line, District Line, the Northern Line and Bakerloo Line. It has two entrances, one in the Villiers Street and one at Victoria Embankment. The latter is under the Hungerford Bridge, over which one gets to walk to the South Bank of the Thames.
The opening of the station took place on May 30, 1870 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, predecessor of the District line ), the station name at that time was Charing Cross. On 10 March 1906, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway ( BS & WR, today Bakerloo Line) was opened, the company called their part of the station, however Embankment. As on April 6, 1914 with the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway ( CCE & HR, today's Northern Line ) was added, the confusion was perfect. The CCE & HR station called her part Charing Cross ( Embankment ) to him to be able to distinguish one part of the station Charing Cross, from Charing Cross Station ( beach ) today.
On 9 May 1915, the three companies adjusted the situation with the renaming of all parts in Charing Cross station and the renaming of Charing Cross ( beach ) in beach. On August 4, 1974 the company was renamed again, this time in Charing Cross Embankment. However, since September 12, 1976, the station is Embankment. The reason was to merge the stations Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross Station to the beach.
At the beginning of the CCE & HR had only a single side platform in a turning loop that was partially under the river bed of the River Thames and complicated maneuvers made redundant. On September 13, 1926, the line was extended to Waterloo station, so that the turning loop could be eliminated. While the platform for the northward moving trains remained, had to build an additional platform for the southward moving trains.
Wisely, they separated before the Second World War, the turning circle is no longer needed by a concrete wall from the rest of the network. In September 1939, the wall was replaced by two massive security doors that could be opened and closed as needed. As an aerial bomb hit the turning loop and then penetrated water, the remaining tunnels were not affected by the flooding. The turning loop still exists today; the doors are 33 inches thick, weigh six tons and withstand a pressure of 800 tons.