Game of the Year 2001 Essen spring 2001
The new discovery is a placement board game by Klaus Teuber, published in the cosmos Games Gallery 2001. Illustrated it was from Andreas Steiner. The aim of the game is to discover unknown islands and their resources to win (utility and enjoyment plants) for themselves. For this purpose, it first attempts to gain supremacy on the islands, which can be hampered by duties of players.
The new discovery is reminiscent of a mixture of Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan. The game is suitable for 2-4 players, ages 10 and takes about 90 minutes.
The game is an adaptation of the 1996 published by Goldsieber game " discoverer ". Published in 2004 a simplified version for 1 to 2 players under the title " Oceania ".
There is a rectangular Schedule consisting of four main areas:
- Undiscovered territory - Here are discovering new islands
- Edge of fields - from here will reach the undiscovered territory
- The jungle - Seven ways to discover spies treasures
- The sea serpent - For discovered islands and treasures are counted on the sea serpent, the " discoverer points "
The youngest player begins by train. The player takes his ship and goes to discoverers country. Has he discovered land, it can issue a scout on the island, so that the turn is over. If a player has fully discovered an island, the discoverer points are awarded, this step is called Island rating. When all fields have been discovered, that is, if the undiscovered area is covered with tiles, the end of the game occurs.
The winner of the game is the one who is with his scoring marker furthest to the sea serpent. In a tie, the one with the most gold content.
- 4 settlements ( houses in 4 different colors)
- 8 points ( platelets in 4 different colors )
- 67 scouts ( turrets in 4 different colors)
- 180 explorers cards on which the islands and the sea are shown
- 36 gold coins in denominations of 1 and 5
- 9 plants chips ( in different varieties: peanut, cacao, pineapple, tomato, tobacco, rubber, bean, potato and maize)
- 7 chief huts ( made of cardboard, under which you put the different plants chips)
- 1 exploration ship
- 1 die ( with the numbers 2-6 and a steering wheel)
- 1 Schedule