Erwin Voellmy doctorate in 1916 in Basel with the following work: I. The general movement of the Born's electron II An integral representation of non- parallel curves in three-dimensional space. He then went into the teaching profession, where he worked as a professor at a Basel Gymnasium.
Voellmy 1920 and 1922 champion of Switzerland in check over the years. In 1924 he was a delegate of the Swiss Chess Federation in the founding of FIDE. He directed more than 40 years, the chess column of the Basler Nachrichten and gave in two decades, numerous chess books out.
His historical highest Elo rating was 2439.
- The rudiments of chess ( Bern, 1923 )
- Chess fighters ( Basel 1927)
- Chess tactics, 4 volumes (Basel 1927-1930 )
- Sketches of the chess battle of the countries (Basel 1931) ( on the Chess Olympiad Prague 1930)
- Chess Tactical images ( Basel / Leipzig 1935)
- As you open the game of chess? (Basel 1943)
- Five-digit logarithms and numerical tables. Mathematical teaching factory for higher secondary schools ( Zurich 1939)