( " Get ", " escape " from English to escape, " escape ", ) The Escape key Esc is on conventional computer keyboards in the upper left corner. Pressing the button usually causes the termination of a currently executed action of the computer. As the inventor of the key applies Bob Bemer.
The escape key is next to the Alt key and pressing the Enter key on the numeric keypad one of the few buttons on German keyboards, the label was not Germanized.
A keyboard icon for the escape key is standardized in ISO / IEC 9995-7 as a symbol 29 " Escape", as well as in DIN ISO 7000 " Graphical symbols for facilities " as a symbol ISO -7000 2029th This character is in Unicode block in Various technical character as U 238 B contain broken circle with northwest arrow ( ⎋ ) .. This symbol is used regularly in Mac OS X.
Under PC -compatible DOS the key is usually abbreviated to " Esc", especially in the technical context but also to the control sequence "^ [" or the symbol " ←" symbolizes that in the common under DOS code pages at the position of Esc - control character is.
- The charging process of a website can be interrupted in various web browsers with the Escape key.
- In most dialog boxes of Windows applications, pressing the Escape key equivalent to clicking on the "Cancel" button.
- Full-screen views can often be left with the Escape key.
- The operation of the escape key breaks in many applications from an already begun entering into a text box and there it restores the original state.
- Use the Escape key an escape sequence is initiated.