Etterbeek is a municipality of the Brussels-Capital region of Belgium. It has 45 502 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2012) to 3.15 km ².
Etterbeek lies to the east of the city center of Brussels. Neighboring municipalities of Brussels-Capital, Schaerbeek / Schaerbeek, Woluwe-Saint-Lambert/Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe, Woluwe-Saint-Pierre/Sint-Pieters-Woluwe, Auderghem / Oudergem and Ixelles / Elsene.
Through the community's subway lines run 1 and 5 (stations Merode, Montgomery, Thieffry and Petillon ) and the tram lines 23, 24 and 25 ( also conducted underground), 81 and 83
Etterbeek appears under the name " Iatrebache " for the first time in 966 in the records. This source is only obtained in a copy of the 15th century. With " Ietrebecca " the next mention in 1127 takes place. Shapes " Jetterbecce " in 1138 and " Jetterbeka " in 1221 give approximately the first time today names form.
Originally Etterbeek not belong to the Brussels suburb. The aldermen of the city had to raise conferred by Johann II Tax on beer only since 1312.
In 1489 the village was destroyed by the troops of Albrecht of Saxony in the war against Flanders. By Iconoclast 1580 considerable damage was done in Etterbeek in the year.
1602 under the rule of Governor of the Spanish Netherlands, Isabella Clara Eugenia, and the Archduke Albert VII of Austria was the Broubelaar - a stream which rises in Etterbeek - redirected to the botanical and zoological garden of the Dukes of Brabant on the Coudenberg to supply. During this time, Etterbeek still had not have its own mayor. This function was exercised by the Mayor of Main Rode while the jurisdiction held the aldermen of Watermaal, which also had the judiciary in Bosvoorde, Oudergem, Sint -Pieters -Woluwe, Stokkel and Crainhem.
Charles II of Spain brought Etterbeek the Barony in favor of Diego Henriquez de Castro, Advisor at the Court of Auditors and the War Council and Treasurer of the Armed Forces of the Netherlands. As Etterbeek barony was, it broke away from the main community Rode and got its own mayor, five aldermen and two judges. The community kept this order in until it was annexed by France. As part of France Etterbeek belonged to the canton of Sint -Stevens -Woluwe (fr: Woluwe -Saint -Etienne), the arrondissement of Brussels, which was a part of the department of the Dyle.
In less than a century, Etterbeek eventually developed from a rural community to a built-up suburb. The early 20th century was marked by numerous development projects. Among other things, the orphanage Van Meyel and the hospital were built. The expansion of various streets and squares were Etterbeek an urban face. Today Etterbeek is one of the most densely populated municipalities of Brussels.
Etterbeek is home, not least because of its immediate proximity to the European quarter a variety of agencies and Commission services. However, there are in Etterbeek few large administrative office building. The original buildings and the charm of the community could thus be preserved. Particularly worth seeing is the prestigious boulevards, especially the Boulevard Avenue de Tervuren / Tervurenlaan and the Boulevards Saint Michel and Louis Schmidt and the Arch in the Cinquantenaire park on the border of the municipality of Brussels apply. Also worth seeing are the Art Nouveau neighborhood Etterbeeks. Built in 1905, Cauchiehaus ( Cauchie ) in the Frankenstr. 5 ( Rue des Francs ) can be described as one of the most beautiful works of art nouveau in Brussels and is open every first weekend of the month for visitors. Green areas are abundant in Etterbeek, including the F. Hap- Park and named after the French twin town Jardin Fontenay-sous-Bois/Tuinen van Fontenay -sous -Bois. The most famous park is the Leopold park, situated right next to the European Parliament English garden. On the Jourdanplatz ( Place Jourdan ) there are numerous cafes and a respected market. Shops are mainly in Avenue de la Chasse / Jachtlaan numerous. Etterbeek has nation's densest collection of training centers. The campus of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, however, is not located in the municipality of Etterbeek but on the territory of the neighboring municipality of Elsene as well as - curiously enough - the Etterbeek train station.
Worth seeing are the Boulevards (including the Boulevard Avenue de Tervuren / Tervurenlaan ), the Arch of Triumph in Jubilee Park, the Art Nouveau residential area, and the neighboring European quarter, but that belongs to the city of Brussels.
The Catholic Churches St- Jean- Berchmans (1912, Neo-Romanesque ) unnd Chapelle de la Resurrection, (2001, Neorenaissancerekronstruktion ) are Jesuit churches.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Constantin Meunier (1831-1905), artist and sculptor
- Francois Verstraeten (1887-1965), cyclist
- Hergé (1907-1983), comic book writer and illustrator
- André Franquin (1924-1997), comic book writer and illustrator
- Misha Defonseca (* 1937), writer
- Pierre Deligne ( born 1944 ), mathematician
- Godelieve Quisthoudt -Rowohl (* 1947), MEP
- Herman Van Rompuy ( b. 1947 ), first permanent EU president, former Belgian Prime Minister
- Paul Hermelin ( b. 1952 ), Belgian - French Manager
- Pascal Witmeur (* 1955), race car driver
- Lara Fabian (born 1970 ), Belgian - Canadian singer
- Jérôme D' Ambrosio ( born 1985 ), race car driver
- Steve Colpaert ( born 1986 ), football player
- Marouane Fellaini (* 1987), Belgian - Moroccan football player
- François Englert ( born 1932 ), physicist, Nobel laureate, theorists of the Higgs boson