Eugen village is a municipality in the north of the province of Salzburg in Austria and has 6760 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013).

  • 3.1 Municipal Council
  • 3.2 Coat of Arms
  • 5.1 Sports


Eugen village located in the district of Salzburg-Umgebung about 10 km northeast of the city of Salzburg. The municipality is part of the Judicial District Thalgau.

Community structure

The municipality includes the following 10 places (in brackets population as of 31 October 2011):

  • Eugenbach ( 986 )
  • Eugen village ( 2043 )
  • Kalham (462 )
  • Kirchberg ( 194)
  • Knutzing (156)
  • Neuhofen (301 )
  • Pebering (444)
  • Riding Mountain ( 1206)
  • Schaming (318 )
  • Schwaighofen (605 )

The municipality comprises the cadastral Eugen village, Kirchberg, Neuhofen and Schwaighofen.

Neighboring communities of Eugene village are:

Landscape and waters

The almost exactly 29 km2 large community Eugen village is located on 560 m above sea level in the hilly foothills of the Alps Salzburg. In the southwest of the municipality are the foothills of the 899 m high Heuberg, but there are a total of no major surveys. The densely built up areas around the district Eugenbach, the historic village of Eugene and the industrial park road located in the west of the municipality, most of the remainder of the township area is used for agricultural purposes. Larger contiguous forest areas, there is little, only a 1.5 km long forest area in the southeast forms the border with Plainfeld and Thalgau, and roughly the same long piece of wood is in the northwest near the border with Neumarkt am Wallersee.

The village lies on any larger body of water. In the municipality around ten essentially insignificant streams exist ( the largest of which the Eugenbach ), which flow in different directions, but mainly in the Fischach - the outflow of Lake Waller - drain. This is completely the border to the municipality Neumarkt am Wallersee. The easternmost waters flow directly into the Wallersee, which is located just a few miles north of Eugene village.


Eugen village is first documented in the year 736 mentioned. As a place name also Jubindorf is in the oldest documents Jupindorf, given what goes back to an ancient settlement clan, whose leader, a person named Juvino ( Juppin ) or Jubianus was. The b was later called the place name Eugenbach replaced by g. The shape Eugen village is first mentioned in 1326. The place name is therefore no relation with the persons name Eugene.

Eugen village is mentioned for the first time under Duke Hubert of Bavaria, who ruled until 736, and the church of Salzburg nine Mansi ( Huben ( hooves ) ) handed in Jupindorf. The mention of nine Mansi ( settlement families with servants ) proves that the place Strass and parts were connected by Eugenbach. In addition, a church was built in Eugene village, which is considered the early church in the area. This was already mentioned in 788 Indiculus Arnonis.

Over time, settled in Eugene village, especially in the High Middle Ages, various noble families to. These included the Kalhamer. These were once a powerful ministry team of the Archbishop of Salzburg and had a considerable manorial possession. In addition, they were assigned military tasks. As ministeriales they could in turn lend further fief and thus build up a gallant followers. A number of such knights were in their dependence: as the Knutzinger that Pabenschwandter and probably the Miihlberger. In addition to the Kalhamer nobility there were the Knights of Unzing (now belonging to Salzburg Itzling ).

In the period after 1100 several counties had been divided into smaller Sprengel by the growing population. At that time the Eugendorf court appears to have originated; the Kalhamer practiced in Eugene village for over 200 years and the jurisdiction.

Especially since the 18th century increased the importance Eugen village. Under Empress Maria Theresa (1740-1780) was the first primary school and the first clubs were founded at this time. 1803, the local government was introduced and in 1805 there was the first community leaders with two councilors at his side. 1874/75 Eugene village got its own post office.

The population rose sharply as a result. Were counted in Eugene village in 1855 still 1,329 inhabitants today there are over 6,200. Conducive to the boom in the early 1900's was also made ​​in 1891 opening of the section of the Salzkammergut Mondsee Salzburg Local Train (popularly also: Ischlerbahn ). Which united the city of Salzburg and the Flachgau with the Upper Austrian Salzkammergut, and served until its closure in 1957 of persons and goods.

The main reason for the significant economic growth in recent decades was the construction of the Western Motorway ( A1) after 1955, was equipped with the Eugene village with its own exit. As a result, a number of larger farms settled. Later, the commercial and industrial areas node - road, Commercial Street and North Street emerged. Of particular economic importance are several furniture stores with a spacious basin. Also, land was reported, several new settlements were built and schools were newly built in part, partly renovated and expanded. In addition, the community built two kindergartens, a nursing home and a sports court.

In the course of the 1,250 - year anniversary in 1987 Eugen village was declared a municipality.


Municipal council

The municipal council of Eugene village has 25 members and is composed as follows for the local council elections in 2009 together:

Directly elected mayor Johann Strasser (ÖVP ).

Coat of arms

The coat of arms of the municipality is: "In Green in the sign above and below silver -lined silver slant Links bar, surmounted by a silver buck head with neck piece. "

The " slant bar links " shown in the emblem stands for the Roman road, the early played an important role for Eugen village and Capricorn was the emblem of the Knights to Kalham.


Eugen village has one hand by its proximity to the state capital, and the other by its importance as a business location a large proportion of commuters and a correspondingly high volume of traffic, so public transport is of great importance. The place is connected with the S-Bahn Salzburg ( S2 ) to the regional rail network. Also important are the mainly at peak times trains running at very short intervals post buses. To and from Salzburg serviced daily and direction more than 70 buses carrying about 20% of commuters.

Eugen village is also due to its location and its connection to the Western Highway is an important and heavily used node for traffic in the surrounding communities.

The town is located on the busy Vienna street (B1 ), the former state highway 1 In the municipality this important regional country roads to cross Neumarkt am Wallersee and upper strand and to Thalgau and Mondsee. Furthermore, there is an important link road to the Wolfgangsee road (B 158 ).

The west highway crosses the municipality in east-west direction.

Culture and sights

Worth seeing is the parish church Eugen village.


As a sports association USC Eugen village that has a sports complex for soccer and tennis, among other things exist. In the club in 2010 constituted a women's soccer team.

The former route of the Salzkammergut Local Railway is now part of the Mozart cycle track, a cycling route through Upper Bavaria and Salzburg Flachgau.