The district of Euskirchen is a circle in the extreme southwest of North Rhine -Westphalia with 187 724 inhabitants. Council is based in the eponymous Euskirchen.
- 3.1 District
- 3.2 Former county councilors
- 3.3 Kreistag
- 3.4 emblem, seal and banner
- 4.1 Museums
- 4.2 Jewish Cemeteries
- 4.3 Structures
- 5.1 traffic 5.1.1 Rail transport
- 5.1.2 Public transport
- 5.1.3 roads
The circle lies in the southwest of the federal state of North Rhine -Westphalia on the border with Belgium and Rhineland-Palatinate. South of belonging to Hellenthal hamlet of return, on Losheimer Landgraben (not to be confused with the Losheimergraben ), is the southernmost point of NRW.
In the north of 1248.86 km ² large circle area located on the southern part of the Bay of Cologne Zülpicher flange and the foothills of the Ville, which follows the approximate boundary line from the northwest to the southeast. In the west the boundary runs along the Rureifel up to the Aspen forest and along the Our Valley and the Schnee Eifel. To the south lies the Upper Kylltal as well as the beginnings of Ahrgebirges and most of the Münstereifeler Forest.
The northern district area in urban Euskirchen and Zuelpich and the community Weilerswist is characterized by large lowland areas, which are mainly agricultural. The southern part is determined by the elevations of the Eifel with large forest areas which occupy a total of 36.1 % of the total.
The district of Euskirchen has a maximum extension of 47 km in the north-south direction. The northernmost point is located south of Brühl Forest Ville between the Federal highway 553 and L 194, the southernmost, which is also the southernmost state of North Rhine -Westphalia, is, as previously mentioned, at the border to Rhineland -Palatinate in the field of community Hellenthal. In East-West direction, the district area extends over more than 42 km. The westernmost point is located near the Oleftalsperre at Hellenthal on the border with Belgium, to the Roche Rather road that runs through the area on the Belgian side of the training area Elsenborn. The easternmost point is in Münstereifeler forest, near the hamlet of death Rheinbacher field and the local mountain community in the municipality Altenahr.
The highest point is 690 meters above sea level. NN on the White Stone in Udenbreth, the lowest 108 m above sea level. NN at Burg temperature harrows in the community Weilerswist.
Less than 14 km ² of the circle made up of water surface, which corresponds to about 1.1 % of the total area. Most of it lies within the area of the Eifel. While the number of streams is very high, no natural lakes are present.
Rivers and Creeks
Mainly in the heights of the Eifel are numerous headwaters of streams and rivers and watersheds to find. In the Euskirchen district among others, the four most important, the circuit area by flowing rivers originate Erft, Ahr, Kyll and Urft. While Erft and Ahr open directly into the Rhine, the Kyll dehydrated first in the Moselle and the Urft in the Rur, which opens into the Meuse.
Lakes and reservoirs
All significant Still waters have been artificially created. The reservoirs originated from the early 20th century to the 1970s as reservoirs for water production and electricity generation or as a flood retention basin. The two lakes at Zuelpich date from the 1970s and are caused by the brown coal mining. Some of the waters are designed as a recreational area for recreational activities as swimming or water sports lake.
The district of Euskirchen is made up of five cities and six municipalities. Euskirchen and Mechernich deemed Mean kreisangehorige cities because their populations are both 25000-60000. Geographically and topographically Euskirchen, Zuelpich and Weilerswist be attributed to the Cologne Bay, the remaining municipalities are part of the Eifel.
In brackets the number of inhabitants of December 31, 2012.
The district of Euskirchen borders on four districts in North Rhine -Westphalia, three counties in Rhineland -Palatinate and to the Kingdom of Belgium. The total length of the loop limit is 290 km.
The northern part of the district is surrounded to the east from the west of the cities of Aachen, the district of Düren, the Rhine -Erft and the Rhein- Sieg district, all located in North Rhine -Westphalia. From the east to the south-west is the boundary with Rhineland -Palatinate with the districts of Ahrweiler and volcanic Eifel as well as the district of Bitburg -Prüm, to which the common border is only about 1.5 km long. In the southwest to west, the Arrondissement Verviers is ( Province of Liege ) in Belgium, to the almost completely the border runs over 28 km along the main road 265.
The circle was on 1 May 1816 as county Lechenich from the mayors Entzen, Erp, Euskirchen, Mrs. Berg, Fries Home, Gymnich, Kommeren, Lechenich, Liblar, Lommersum Nemmenich, Satzvey, Sinzenich, guard the village, Weilerswist, Wichterich and Zuelpich (today through incorporations parts of the cities Erftstadt, Euskirchen, Zuelpich and the community Weilerswist ) formed. He belonged to the governmental district Cologne, with whom he was first assigned to the Prussian Province of Jülich -Cleves -Berg from 1822 and the Rhine Province. On February 17, 1827 it was renamed " Euskirchen " and the district office was moved from Lechenich to Euskirchen.
On October 1, 1932 the following communities were incorporated into the district of Euskirchen in the district Rhein Bach:
- Municipality Münstereifel
- Office Ollheim with the villages Esch, Müggenhausen and Straßfeld (now districts of Euskirchen, Weilerswist and Swisttal )
- Office Cuchenheim with the villages Flamersheim, Großbüllesheim, Kirchheim, Kleinbüllesheim, Cuchenheim, Lower Case wooden, Palmer Home, Roitzheim, Schweinheim Stotzheim, Weidesheim and Wüschheim (now all parts of Euskirchen )
- Office Münstereifel country with the rural communities Arloff, Effelsberg, Houverath, Iversheim, Mahlberg, Mutscheid, Rupperath, Schönau (now all parts of Bad Münster Eifel)
On January 1, 1939, the district of Euskirchen was renamed " the district Euskirchen ".
On August 23, 1946, the district Euskirchen became part of the newly founded Federal State of North Rhine -Westphalia.
The Aachen- law of 14 December 1971, the district Schleiden were dissolved (until December 24, 1829 Gemuend circle ) on 1 January 1972 and the cities of Schleiden, Mechernich and the municipalities Hellenthal, Kall, Cute Home, Dahlem and Blankenheim in the Euskirchen incorporated. At the same time resigned from the district of Euskirchen in the district of Cologne Administrative Court and was assigned to the Administrative Court of Aachen.
Due to the Cologne Act of 5 November 1974, the city created on 1 July 1969 Erftstadt from the district of Euskirchen in the Erftkreis newly founded (now Rhine -Erft ) transferred on 1 January 1975.
District Administrator of Euskirchen is since 1994 in the third term Günter Rosenke (CDU, now independent), the full-time exercises his ministry since 1999 and is at the same time head of the district administration and the district police authorities. He was confirmed at the last district election on 30 August 2009 after its exit from the CDU as an independent candidate with 42.82 % of the valid votes in his office.
1st Vice District is Josef Carl Rhiem (CDU ), 2nd Vice District Hans Schmitz ( SPD). As a general representative Manfred Poth operates.
Former county councilors
The county council has been extended at the municipal election in 2009 from 46 to 54 deputies. The municipal election in 2009 was held on August 30, 2009. The turnout was 56.3 per cent of the voting population.
The group leaders are:
- Josef Reidt, CDU
- Andreas Schulte, SPD
- Hans Reiff, FDP
- Franz Troschke, UWV
- Jörg Grutke, GREEN
- Thomas Bell, The Left
Coat of arms, seal and banner
The District President Cologne on 31 October 1973 the district of Euskirchen the following coat of arms approved:
Em; in field 1 in red three two -to-one asked golden (yellow ) roses; in box 2 in gold ( yellow) and a red reinforced bezungter black lion; a continuous black kurkölnisches beams cross in box 3 in silver ( white); in box 4 in Red a three -pointed golden (yellow ) zigzag bar.
The circle leads stamp with the circle crest. They show in the inscription above " Circle" and below " Euskirchen ". In the seal round the circle emblem on the shields: em: right up in black three, 2: one asked, white roses; top left in white a black lion; bottom right in white, a continuous beam cross; lower left in black and white zigzag a three -pointed beams.
The group performs a banner. It's red and gold ( yellow) in the ratio 1: 1 vertical stripes, with the coat of arms in the square silver ( white ) Banner main.
In addition, the district of Euskirchen used the following logo: The word "circle" in dark blue font with a turquoise semi-circle above and below it to blue as the word " EUSKIRCHEN " over a turquoise, stylized level, which merges into mountain country. Underneath, in blue font, the slogan " Just feel good! ".
Culture and sights
- Bad Münstereifel Hürten Museum of Local History
- Roman Kalkbrennerei Iversheim
- Pharmacy Museum
- Nature and Landscape Museum
- Wooden Toys Museum Bad Münstereifel
- District Museum
- Blankenheim Carnival Museum
- Guided exhibition ( Blankenheim )
- City Museum Euskirchen
- Müller woolen mill
- Fire Museum Flamersheim
- Pit welfare
- LVR Open Air Museum Kommern
- Mining Museum Mechernich
- Eifel Nature Centre
- Museum of bathing culture
24 Jewish cemeteries have been documented for the district of Euskirchen in Euskirchen (10 ), in Hellenthal ( 2), Kall ( 1), in Mechernich ( 5), in Schleiden ( 2), in Weilerswist (2) and in Zuelpich (2 ) .. They are worth protecting cultural monuments - stone witnesses for previously existing Jewish communities and a lively Jewish community life until the 1930s.
In the western part of the district, especially on the course of the border with Belgium, there are significant ruins and preserved buildings of the former West Wall.
In the city of Bad Münstereifel there are two radio telescopes to admire. The 25 m Astropeiler Stockert (mountain ), the first radio telescope in Germany and since 1999 an industrial monument. The Effelsberg radio telescope, with diameter of 100 m, the largest fully steerable radio telescope in Europe and the second largest worldwide.
Economy and infrastructure
The development of railway lines began in 1864, when the Rhenish Railway Company opened a line from Düren to the city of Euskirchen. From here the route 1865-1870 was further guided into the Eifel, while the direct connection from Cologne ago was not completed until 1875.
The Prussian state railways built by the node Euskirchen further paths to Bonn (1880 ) and Bad Münster Eifel ( 1890). In addition, further from the Eifel circuit following branch railways from:
The Euskirchener circular paths opened up in 1895 some location away from the main lines areas by the narrow-gauge railways Euskirchen - Mülheim- Wichterich - Liblar and Mülheim- Wichterich - Zuelpich - Satzvey - Arloff.
In Zuelpich city since 1909/11 connection was to the track Düren - the Duerener circular path Embken - Zuelpich.
The railroads eventually included a network of 214 km in length. Of these, for passenger today only 84 km left over after numerous (secondary) routes were shut down.
Today the town of Euskirchen posing with her big station the central hub for rail transport in the district dar. in Euskirchen meet the following railway lines:
- Flare path ( Euskirchen - Zuelpich - Düren, only goods and seasonal traffic)
- Voreifelbahn ( KBS 475, Euskirchen - Meckenheim - Bonn)
- Eifel line ( KBS 474, Cologne - Weilerswist - Euskirchen - Mechernich - Kall - Nice Home - Blankenheim ( Forest) - Dahlem - Trier )
- Erft Valley Railway ( KBS 475, Euskirchen - Bad Münster Eifel)
Addition takes place on the Oleftalbahn Kall - Schleiden - Hellenthal on Sundays and public holidays a museum railway transport instead.
The district of Euskirchen is a member of the transport association Rhein-Sieg (VRS ), the public transport is carried out by the following carriers:
- Regional Köln GmbH
- Regional traffic Euregio Maas -Rhein GmbH ( RVE )
- Karl Schäfer Omnibusreisen GmbH
- City traffic Euskirchen GmbH (SVE )
Concessionaire and PTAs is the
- Roundabouts society Euskirchen ( PDC )
Since 7 January 2002, a large part of the public transport away from densely populated areas (such as the town of Euskirchen and the valley of Schleiden ) is performed as TaxiBus. The lines are served by taxis by the hour, however, passengers have more than 30 minutes, in Schafer travel 60 minutes to register by phone prior to the scheduled departure. After initially only the normal fare ( VRS tariff) had to be paid for the TaxiBus, a nominal fee is charged in addition for some years. Since then, the TaxiBus in the district of Euskirchen is marketed under the name TaxiBusPlus. In high-demand rides like in rush hour continue normal buses are used, supplemented by school transport special " school bus routes ".
The most important road in the district of Euskirchen and for a large part of the Eifel is the A 1 The so-called Eifel highway was begun in 1977 with the 16.9 km -long section of the highway junction Bliesheim on the junction Euskirchen (110 ) until after Wißkirchen (111). 1981, the 8.5 km long section to Bad Münster Eifel / Mechernich (112 ) has been completed and the following year the remaining 13.4 kilometers with connection at home Cute (113 ) to the current end of the freeway at Blankenheim (114). The missing section to the southern section of the A 1 in Daun is conducted in the Federal Transport Infrastructure Plan 2003 as urgent requirement, so that can be counted on the continuation. In the north of the district since 1970, also runs the A 61 to the junction Weilerswist (25).
In the 1970s, two other highways were planned in the district. The A 545 should result from Aachen Schleiden and Kall up to 1 A at Nice Home. Until the 1990s, there were plans for the A 56 from the Dutch border at Heinberg on Düren, Zuelpich, Euskirchen to Bonn. Extensive inputs were near Euskirchen it already provided, such as the interchange Euskirchen, which is part of the double junction of the same today.
By the district also run numerous federal roads. The most important is the B51, which is heavily used in Euskirchen, as well as in the southern area from Blankenheim, because it has to absorb the traffic of non-finished A 1 there. The B 56 is extended between Zuelpich and Euskirchen on the route of the planned A 56 as a dual carriageway and will be extended as a northern bypass road of Euskirchen. The B258 runs from Mayen Blankenheim and Schleiden through the Eifel National Park to Aachen. Likewise, through the National Park put the B 265 from Cologne via Zuelpich, Schleiden and Hellenthal up to Prüm, which runs about 28 km along the border with Belgium and the B 266 of Simmerath about Schleiden, Mechernich and Euskirchen to Linz am Rhein. When Bright Thaler district Losheim the B 421, which leads initially repeatedly crosses the border between North Rhine -Westphalia and Rhineland -Palatinate and up to Kirn in the district of Bad Kreuznach in Rhineland -Palatinate begins. The incipient in Neuss B 477 leads in the district over Zuelpich and Mechernich until after Nice Home Tondorf, where it ends.
- The legends of the district Euskirchen is populated by numerous werewolves and Werwölfinnen, including a reminder of the numerous wolf packs that hit until the beginning of the 19th century, the area between the Eifel and Erft.
- See Sparkasse savings bank Euskirchen