Lienen as coach of 1860 Munich 4 October 2009
After graduating from the Hans Ehrenberg school in Bielefeld- Senne city he played from 1977 to 1992 as a striker in the 1st and 2nd Bundesliga. From 1974 to 1977 he belonged to the second division squad of Arminia Bielefeld, with which he failed in the first Bundesliga Relegation to 1977. He then stood up in 1981 at the first division squad Borussia Mönchengladbach, with whom he achieved the greatest success of his active career: In 1978, he was with Borussia runner-up, in the following year 's UEFA Cup winners. 1980 reached Lienen with Borussia again the final of the UEFA Cup, but they had to admit defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt. From 1981 to 1983 Lienen again played for Bielefeld, before he returned to Mönchengladbach in 1983, where he remained until 1987. 1984 was Lienen with Gladbach in the DFB Cup final, in which the FC Bayern Munich on penalties prevailed. In 1987 he joined the German Amateur champion and North Rhine- Oberliga side MSV Duisburg, with whom he rose again in 1989 in the second Bundesliga and in 1991 in the Bundesliga. In the summer of 1992 Lienen ended his active career.
He played 333 games in the Bundesliga 1, in which he scored 49 goals. In the 2nd Bundesliga he was 171- times used (27 matches ).
On August 14, 1981 Lengerich suffered a serious injury when Norbert Siegmann Werder Bremen him slashing the thigh with the tunnels and a 25 cm long, deep cut inflicted. Lienen ran with the gash on the sidelines for the then coach of Werder Bremen, Otto Rehhagel, whom he blamed for the foul, by claiming that Rehhagel had incited Siegmann to the challenge. The wound was stitched with 23 stitches after 17 days Lienen started training again. In an interview in 2012 Lienen relativized that situation by saying that the injury looked bad indeed, but was basically perfectly harmless. Rehhagel he was against it only addressed in affect.
- German Vice Champion with Borussia Mönchengladbach in 1978
- UEFA Cup: winner 1979, finalist in 1980 each with Borussia Mönchengladbach
- DFB - Cup: Finalist in 1984 with Borussia Mönchengladbach
In 1989, Lengerich training to become football coach and coached the top rating from the amateurs of MSV Duisburg, while still came into use in the first team. On 24 March 1993 he took over as coach at the first team of the MSV, which he held until 1 November 1994. Between 1995 and 1997 Lienen worked as Assistant coach Jupp Heynckes during the Spanish side CD Tenerife. In the summer of 1997, he was then manager at Hansa Rostock. With Rostock he failed to qualify for the UEFA Cup by only one point; on 1 March 1999 Lengerich was replaced by Andreas Zachhuber. To the beginning of the season 1999/2000 he was coach of the second division 1 FC Cologne, he led her back to the 1st Bundesliga. On 28 January 2002 Lengerich was released in Cologne. In the summer of 2002, he became coach of the Spanish second division side CD Tenerife, from which he was released on 20 January 2003. From March 2 to September 21, he coached Borussia Mönchengladbach. On March 9, 2004 until 9 November 2005, he was coach of Hannover 96
In 2006 he went into the Greek Super League and trained there the club Panionios Athens, with which he began in the UEFA Cup in 2007. In December Lienen Award Greece as coach of the year 2007. In response to the dismissal of his assistant coach and son- Abder Ramdane Lienen dissolved on 13 November 2008 on his contract prematurely.
On 13 May 2009 he took over the coaching job at second division TSV 1860 München. In the two remaining games of the season 2008/ 09 he won with the team, although only one point, this handed the 1860 but for relegation. In the following season the team ended after a very slow start at the end of the eighth place in the table. The 150th anniversary of the 1860 target of promotion to the Bundesliga but was clearly missed. Runs until 2011, the contract was terminated prematurely, so Lienen could accept an offer of the Greek first division club Olympiacos Piraeus On 17 June 2010.
After leaving in qualifying for the UEFA Europa League 2010/11 against Maccabi Tel Aviv Lienen was released after only two months.
On November 7, 2010, he was coach of Arminia Bielefeld, succeeding Christian goat. For the season 2011/2012 Ewald Lienen was replaced after the descent of the Arminia in the 3rd League by the former professional football player Markus von Ahlen.
In early October 2012, Lengerich coach and athletic director of AEK Athens. On April 9, 2013 Lengerich was relieved of his duties after the club had fallen through last four defeats in a row again in acute danger of relegation. Lienen described his dismissal in the press as " theater of the absurd " because the financial situation of the Athenian Club authorizes no regular sporting operation. Both the player as he himself had known at any time, whether the club was in a position to pay salaries, or at least to cover the living costs of the players. His successor was Traianos Dellas who has never had last been active as a player for the club and worked as a trainer before.
Beginning of November 2013 Lengerich was appointed coach of the Romanian first division Oţelul Galaţi.
- His meticulous writing down observations on notepads ( would be technically easier to manage that with a voice recorder ) while running games earned him the nickname list -Ewald. Another nickname from his time as a football coach in Cologne was the shirt to wear in reference to his habit of a light blue shirt he had worn for a long-awaited victory for the team, even in later games as a lucky charm.
- After Lienen had 1 FC Köln conducted in the 1999/2000 season to the rise of the 2nd Bundesliga in the 1st Bundesliga, Cologne's a cappella group Wise Guys released the song " The heroic saga of the Holy Ewald ".
- Funkel met three times in succession, the successor to coach Lienen, namely, MSV Duisburg, Hansa Rostock and FC Cologne 1.
- Lengerich was considered Studied, as a linker and DKP close, because he was involved during the early 1980s in the peace movement and participated in the peace list, for which he ran for the state election in North Rhine -Westphalia in 1985. In 1987 he founded together with fellow players, the players' union union of the contract footballer eV ( VdV ).
- From early February to late April 2012 agriculture Lienen the video blog cabin sermon on YouTube. He commented on current events from the national and international football. In the period from the 20th to the 33rd matchday of the Bundesliga this season 15 episodes were produced.