Exhibition Place

The Exhibition Place is a multifunctional usable venue in Toronto. The west of downtown square is named after the Canadian National Exhibition, which takes place 18 days from mid-August. The area for trade shows, sports and music events is just under 79 acres. Among other things, there is the football stadium, BMO Field and a street circuit on the Exhibition Place. Its total area is 104 hectares.


French traders established under the arrangement by Jacques- Pierre de Taffanel de la Jonquière 1750/51 at the site of today's Exhibition Place Fort Rouillé as a trading post. The area was already an important trade route for the Native American. Therefore it was the aim of the French to regain their trade goods before they reached the British trading post. Already in 1759 the fort burned down during fighting victim.

Two invasions of Americans to York, one on April 27, 1813 during the British - American War and another on 31 July of the same year took place over the area.

In the 19th century, efforts were made the old Fort York on the territory of today's Exhibition Place to relocate. In the years 1840-41 were built for a number of buildings; However, defenses were built no. The British handed over in 1870, the plant in Canada, which they renamed the Stanley Barracks in 1893. Until 1947 it was used as a garrison town and demolished in 1950 to the headquarters. This building was used until 1997 as a naval museum.

1878 was the first province-wide agricultural fair held at the Exhibition Place. The host Location traditionally moved each year and was selected as the 1879 Ottawa as a place where the city of Toronto decided to hold its own exhibition. Originally called the Toronto Industrial Exhibition Fair and finds since 1904 held annually, later it was renamed the Canadian National Exhibition.

From 1986 to 2007, an annual Champ Car Motorsport event was held at the fairgrounds. Since 2009, Honda Indy Toronto is called the race and is one of the IndyCar Series to. The 2.824 km long street circuit with eleven curves is driven in 85 rounds.


The almost to the shore of Lake Ontario, adjacent terrain is bordered to the east of Princes' Gates. The gate is named after Prince Edward VIII of Wales, who visited in 1927, with his brother Prince George to Exhibition Place. Also on the east edge of the area are the Lake Shore Park and Coronation Park. South of the fairgrounds is bordered by Lake Ontario and the theme park Ontario Place, located on islands in the lake. North of the Exhibition Place runs the Gardiner Expressway, south of Lake Shore Boulevard.

The terrain is connected to the public transport system. It has its own railway station on the Lakeshore West line of GO Transit ( Toronto - Hamilton). The show is at the end of lines 509 Harbourfront and 511 Bathurst streetcar Toronto. In addition, two special bus lines go to the terrain.


On the Exhibition Place are a number of exhibition halls, as well as historical buildings and monuments. The largest hall, the Direct Energy Centre in the eastern part, is also Canada's largest exhibition hall. It is divided into ten separate halls, offering approximately 90,000 square meters of exhibition space.

From 1879 to 1999 was located on the grounds of the Exhibition Stadium, which was the home of the Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Argonauts.

Built in 1929 Automotive Building is located near the Princes Gates. The bandstand dates from the year 1936., Where many famous musicians gave concerts such as Guy Lombardo, Louis Armstrong or Joni Mitchell. The Better Living Centre is a 1964 exhibition opened building of classic modernity.

The Horticulture Building dates back to 1907. This is an exhibition building which imitates the style of the Middle Ages. At the height of the main entrance there is a white dome.

In the grounds stands the Fort Rouillé Monument, an obelisk, reminiscent of the former Fort Rouillé. The Shrine Peace Memorial from 1930 shows an angel figure holding a crown of leaves from olive branches up. The figure rests on a globe, which is held by a female sphinx. The monument is by Charles Keck ( 1875-1951 ).

Is in the northwest of the plant a 91 -meter high wind turbine ( Toronto Windmill ). It was established on 18 December 2002.