Faremoutiers Abbey

The Notre- Dame de Faremoutiers Abbey is located in the center of the community Faremoutiers in the Seine -et- Marne. It was founded around 620 by Burgundofara ( or shorter Fara ). The double monastery had the rank of a royal abbey. Although Faremoutiers was destroyed twice, remnants of the medieval walls next to the current buildings can still be seen today.


Fara belonged to the family of Burgundofarones who were well off, especially in the area Meaux. End of 610, she was a young girl missionary Columbanus of Luxeuil met when he makes on the way back from Paris to Luxeuil in Poincy station, the villa of their parents outside of Meaux, and they also inaugurated the same on this occasion; about a decade later, Burgundofara founded on the family Eboriacum the iro - Franconian monastery Faremoutiers ( Farae monasterium ), whose first abbess she was and that she assumed the strict Columbanregel also. The monastery was built by monks from Luxeuil, including forest Ebert, who later became third abbot of Luxeuil, who probably worked out the version columbaria rule for nunneries for the monastery Faremoutiers. With her ​​will dated October 627 Fara bequeathed her entire estate to the monastery. She died after 641

Once a fishing Saxon had become Queen of the Franks with Bathilde, Faremoutier became the royal monastery. At the same time, the abbey recorded such a strong influx of nuns from the British Isles that Faras successors came from the ruling families of East Anglia or Kent for the rest to the 7th century. In the 9th century then the picture changed to the effect that now came the abbesses of Faremoutiers from the family of the Carolingians. At this time of the pious Benedictine rule was also on the orders of Emperor Louis for all monasteries, even for Faremoutiers authentic.

Later Faremoutiers was under the Counts of Sens ( late 10th century to 1055 ) and finally the kings of France ( 1166 ). 1140 burned the entire monastery, the reconstruction lasted five years. 1445, during the Hundred Years War Faremoutiers was looted.

In the last years of the 15th century monastic morality fell into disrepair - in 1495 the nuns had three children living with them. 1518 the monastery was renewed by nuns from the Abbey Chelles and the monastery Montmartre, the abbess was now no longer elected by the nuns ( and confirmed by the bishop), but appointed by the king, who now speaks again to the buildings of the abbey care: Louis XIV commissioned his architect François Mansart with the construction of the residential building of the monastery.

During the Revolution, the abbey was closed Faremoutiers. Until 1795 it was used as a barracks, then to the beginning of the 19th century as a quarry. Only in 1930 the monastery was taken over by nuns from the nearby Amillis.


  • To 620- after 641: Fara ( Burgundofarones )
  • Sedride = Sæthryth, daughter of Hereswitha and step-daughter of Anna, King of East Anglia ( Wuffinger )
  • Æthelburh ( Ethel Burge ), daughter of King Anna ( Wuffinger )
  • Eorcongota, daughter of Earconberht I, King of Kent ( Oiscingas ), and Seaxburge, sister of Æthelburh
  • ...
  • 840-852 Rothilde, daughter of Charlemagne ( Carolingian )
  • 852 - well 877 Bertha, daughter of Lothair I ( Carolingian )
  • Ada, 876 nun, later abbess ( Arnulf Inger )
  • Judith
  • Aveline
  • Hildegard
  • ...
  • From 1137 to 1146. Risende
  • From 1146 to 1154. Emma
  • From 1154 to 1212. Lucienne de La Chapelle
  • From 1212 to 1215. Marguerite
  • From 1215 to 1219. Hersende de Touquin
  • From 1219 to 1240. Eustachie
  • From 1240 to 1252. Julienne de Grez de Nesle -en- Brie
  • From 1252 to 1272. Sibylle
  • From 1272 to 1289. Avoie
  • From 1289 to 1290. Marguerite de Mons (I.)
  • From 1290 to 1312. Marguerite de Chevry
  • From 1312 to 1341. Marguerite de Mons ( II )
  • From 1341 to 1346. Mathilde de Joinville de La Malmaison
  • From 1346 to 1363. Jeanne de Noyers
  • From 1363 to 1383. Marguerite de Lully d' Ancre
  • From 1383 to 1409. Marguerite de Noyers
  • From 1409 to 1417. Jeanne de Châteauvillain
  • From 1417 to 1434. Denise you Sollier
  • From 1434 to 1439. Jeanne Rapillard
  • From 1439 to 1454. Isabelle de Mory
  • From 1454 to 1490. Jeanne de Bautot
  • From 1490 to 1511. Jeanne d' Harcourt Chrestienne -Beuvron
  • From 1511 to 1515. Madeleine de Valois - Orléans, batarde d' Angoulême ( † 1543), Abbess of Jouarre 1515, daughter of Charles de Valois, comte d' Angoulême
  • From 1515 to 1518. Marie Cornu
  • From 1518 to 1531. Jeanne Joly
  • From 1531 to 1555. Marie Baudry
  • From 1555 to 1563. Antoinette de Lorraine - Guise († 1561), daughter of Claude de Lorraine, duc de Guise
  • From 1563 to 1567. Françoise Guillard
  • From 1567 to 1573. Marie Violle
  • From 1573 to 1586. Louise de Bourbon- Montpensier
  • From 1586 to 1593. Isabelle de Chauvigny
  • From 1593 to 1605. Anne de La Chatre de Maison Fort, daughter of Claude de La Chatre (House La Chatre )
  • From 1605 to 1643. Françoise de La Chatre de Maison Fort, whose sister (House La Chatre )
  • From 1643 to 1677. Jeanne Anne de Plas
  • From 1677 to 1685. Marie Thérèse - Constance du Blé d' Uxelles
  • From 1685 to 1721. Marie Anne- Constance de - Généreuse Beringhen d' Armainvilliers
  • From 1721 to 1726. Louise Charlotte Eugènie Victoire de Beringhen d' Armainvilliers
  • From 1726 to 1743. Olympe Félicité -Sophie - de Fare Beringhen d' Armainvilliers
  • From 1743 to 1745. Catherine Françoise de Molé Champlâtreux
  • From 1745 to 1759. Marie Renée de Maupéou d' Ableiges
  • From 1759 to 1775. Charlotte -Julie Lenormant of Fort d' Etiolles
  • From 1775 to 1791. Claude de Durfort de Léobard

Source: Gallia Christiana


  • Cartulaire de l' abbaye de Farmoutiers, au diocèse de Meaux (Ms 358, service of Manuscripts de la Bibliothèque Sainte -Geneviève, Paris)