Farnern is a municipality in the Oberaargau the canton of Bern in Switzerland.
Farnern lies at 800 m above sea level. M., 9 km northeast of the town of Solothurn (air line). The hamlet extends a scenic location on a Verebnungsfläche on the southern slopes of the Jura, around 400 m above the plane of the Swiss plateau, above Wiedlisbach, in the region of Upper Aargau.
The area of 3.7 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the Jura south slope. The slope of Farnern is divided by several small, the Aare River inflowing streams. He is the product of a massive landslide that occurred at the end of the crack ice age, when the retreat of the glacial Rhone glacier was eliminated the stabilizing effect of the ice. Therefore, the southern limb of the anticline the first Jura chain slipped and left a large landslide zone.
In the south, the boundary runs parallel to the slope at an altitude of about 700 to 750 m above sea level. M. above the steep forest slope in the area of Gisflüeli. From here, the communal land extends northward across the open slope of Farnern up on the shadow mountain ( 1,153 m above sea level. M. ), the ridge is a characteristic rock wall ( Dogger ) has. In a narrow edge of the municipality spell ranges to the west and includes the Ausräumungskessel Schmid Matt ( in the catchment area of the Dünnern ), limited by the amount of Bättlerchuchi in the south and through the rugged limestone cliffs ( Malm ) of Rüttelhorns ( with 1,193 m above sea level. M. the highest elevation of Farnern ) in the north and the east flank of the Chamben (up to 1'188 m above sea level. M. ). From the municipality surface 1997 3 % was attributable to settlements, 30 % of forest and woody plants and 67% from agriculture.
With 207 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Farnern one of the small communities of the Canton of Bern. Of the residents 98.6 % are German and 0.9 % French-speaking (as of 2000). The population of Farnern amounted in 1850 to 268 residents in 1900 to 274 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population increased to 1970 due to strong migration by more than 40 % to 159 persons. Since then, a slight increase in population was recorded again.
Farnern was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, the dairy industry, animal husbandry and some agriculture have an important role in the economic structure of the population. Some other jobs are in the local retail industry and the services available. In recent decades, the village has developed thanks to its attractive location into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the larger towns along the Jurasüdfusses. Farnern has a large stock of second homes.
The community is located off of the larger passage axes, but is moderately traffic quite well developed yet. The main access is from Wiedlisbach. The nearest links to the A1 ( Bern- Zurich ) is located approximately 6 km from the town center. By bus, which operates direct flight from Wangen an der Aare Farnern, the village is connected to the public transport network.
The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1329 under the name Varnerron. Later, the names Varnerren ( 1364 ) and Varneren published ( 1423 ). The place name is derived from the Old High German word faran ( bracken ).
Since the Middle Ages was under Farnern managed by the Counts of Frohnburg Landgraviate Buchsgau. It was in the reign Bipp and shared their fate. As part of this rule came Farnern 1413 joint management of Berne and Solothurn. After the division of Buchsgaus the village in 1463 came under the sole sovereignty of Bern and the bailiwick Bipp been assigned. Until 1511 Farnern formed with the neighboring Rumisberg a community.
After the collapse of the Ancien Régime (1798 ) Farnern belonged during the Helvetic Republic to the district from 1803 to the cheeks and upper cheeks Office, which received the status of an office district with the new cantonal constitution of 1831. Farnern does not have its own church, it belongs to the parish Oberbipp.