Fennpfuhl is a district in the Lichtenberg district of Berlin. The name derives from the residential area from the Fennpfuhl or the local Fennpfuhl. Only after the administrative reform of 2001, the residential area became a separate district, previously it was part of Lichtenberg with the addition of (North). Fennpfuhl is to Friedenau the second most densely populated district of Berlin.
In April 1961, began with the building of the former territory Lichtenberg (North). The plan was divided into three construction phases. The total is to be built area covered an area of 175 hectares. In the Erich Kuttner - street on the edge of the area ( Phase I ), the first house of the future plate - type P2 was built, one of the most built apartment types in the GDR. Built as a model and experimental building building is now a historical monument.
The present development area had to give some small gardens and an old adjacent buildings around the square there Roeder. First tenders for the development of the wet area, there were already 1956/1957 as a pan- German architectural competition Fennpfuhl that the Hamburg architect Ernst May had won. The realization has been postponed indefinitely because of the anticipated problems with the drainage of the area and lack of money.
The construction phase 1972-1986
On December 2, 1972, the cornerstone was laid for the double - storey building, Roeder place the official start of construction for the area at the Fennpfuhl, which was the first coherent plate - large housing estate in the GDR. In the next few years originated in the former area Lichtenberg (North) houses for 50,000 inhabitants. From the very thin old buildings but little remained. In addition to a larger complex of apartment buildings from the early 20th century, between Karl- loading and Erich Kuttner Street are only a few buildings at the Alfred Jung- road and between the Josef Orlopp Street and Herzberg Road on the east side of Möllendorffstraße available. In addition, there are existing buildings is still in 1912 commissioned in the school building in the Paul Junius Street (now the Music School Lichtenberg and folk high school), a former industrialist's villa on Anton Saefkow space, which also serves as Registrar for the district, a children's home in the Möllendorffstraße and the remains of a former trade Kontor in the Franz- Jacob - street.
Simultaneously with the renaming of the Landsberger Chaussee in the area in Lenin avenue six newly created roads were north Landsberger Chaussee and east of Weißenseer path named on 11 July 1973. As well as five other roads and Anton Saefkow Square, named on April 2, 1975 at the center and south of the area, they received names of communist resistance fighters against Nazism from the group led by Anton Saefkow, Franz Jacob and Bernhard Bästlein. On 14 January 1976, the renaming of the Weißenseer path in Ho Chi Minh road to the first ( North ) Vietnamese President Ho Chi Minh and the Möllendorffstraße in Jacques -Duclos road to the French communist politician Jacques Duclos.
The buildings around the planned as a social center Anton Saefkow space with apartment buildings with shops, a swimming pool, a sports hall and a department store ( consumer) and the investment of Fennpfuhlparks other hand, took on the basis of Bauproblemen because of the swampy ground until well into the 1980s.
Between 1978 and 1981 the former Fennpfuhl with the equally old long slough the Fennpfuhlbrücke was connected to a continuous water and built a bridge over the communication channel. To the waters created by integrating existing old trees, a park. A two-story guest house, lake terraces, was built directly on Fennpfuhl. The name of this restaurant was probably a reference to the here. Around the turn of the 19th to the 20th century amusement existing locality lakeside terrace, which was well attended and cultural events hosted what they actually had bleachers
In the years 1983/1984 built construction workers from the Erzgebirge Schwarzenberg on the edge of the park, the Protestant community center On Fennpfuhl. It was the second new church, which was completed on the basis of an agreed on March 6, 1976 church building program between Erich Honecker and Albrecht Schönherr.
The obtained from the previous buildings remaining 1905/1906 built factory villa in the neoclassical style, who had served the construction management during the construction period for Lichtenberg ( north), was renovated when construction is completed and on 12 May 1986 the new location of the registry office in Berlin -Lichtenberg, the was previously located in the light of city hall.
Changes and additions 1987-1990
At the Lenin Avenue / corner of Ho Chi Minh road planning had provided a sports area with running track and football stadium. The area was a long time kept open. But after a visit to the new area by representatives of the former Berlin magistrate a residential development was made at this point. It emerged three tower blocks. A smaller sports field was then a little further south but still finished on the Ho Chi Minh road.
The trade and service quality of the district has been greatly improved by conversion or new construction. So moved the store hoarding in the old consumer - building (later Kaufhof to April 2007), which were three buildings of the former construction worker Hotels north-east of the residential area with a new combined (for which the restaurant " Suhler Eck" was demolished ) and to a new hotel complex (now Quality Hotel and Holiday Inn) upgraded with its own restaurant Wilhelmsberg. The shopping and office centers Storkower arch at Storkower Straße S-Bahn station, City-Point Center at Roeder court and Landsberger peak at Landsberger Allee / corner or Bruchstraße emerged. Directly west of the area Landsberger Allee opened the shopping and service center Forum Landsberger Allee at the corner Storkower road on 5 November 1998 at the S-Bahn station.
The district crossing the great main lines, Lenin Avenue, the Ho Chi Minh road and Jacques Duclos Street, received in 1992 following recommendations made by the Senate of Berlin its previous name.
By 2001, almost all houses were rehabilitated. The owners of most residential buildings in Fennpfuhl area was already from the beginning an association that AWG - electric coal, from the now after decision by the General Assembly Wohnungsbaugenossenschaft Lichtenberg e. G. ( WGLi ) was. This cooperative renovated between 1991 and 2001 their homeowners, the environment is enhanced by green spaces and parking facilities. Similarly, the nursing home at the Judith -Auer - road has been completely refurbished. The former HO- purchase Halle Judith-Auer-Straße/Ecke Landsberger Allee, in the short-term Kaiser's had moved, replaced by a new building, the Castello, a residential and commercial complex. The building in highly individualistic architecture was designed by the German architect Hinrich Baller.
After completion of the renovation of the Fennpfuhl - area, the WGLi moved from their old makeshift barracks at the Paul Junius Street to a new building on Landsberger Allee, which also attractive condos are available. In place of the barracks in fall 2007 was a horticultural plant, which extends the Fennpfuhlpark.
The restaurant complex marine terraces was empty moved to some Neubewirtschaftungsversuchen around the year 2000. Because no new operator or purchaser could be found, the building was demolished in October 2008. The area was gradually leveled and integrated into the park.
The Association Young diving pioneers Berlin eV led in 2010 by a wide range of basic cleaning of the lake.
The transport network of the district Fennpfuhl is mainly determined by four streets. In a north-south direction is the Weißenseer way of coming changes from Weissensee at Roeder place in the Möllendorffstraße and further leads to the former village of Lichtenberg. In the east-west direction Landsberger Allee runs from Place des Nations Unies Coming through the area in the direction of Marzahn. To the west of the district go of her two blocks to the north - or south-east from: the Oder street, in the further course Hohenschönhauser road that goes Weißenseer way into the Konrad Wolf Road at the intersection, and the Karl- charging road. The tram line extension of the Karl- charging road becomes the Herzbergstraße on Roeder place. At the southwestern edge of the Storkower road runs parallel to the ring road, which also represents the district boundary. Both in 1895 and in 1881 opened ring stations Landsberger Allee and Storkower road are already outside the district.
Due to the relatively central location and the predetermined main road network, the area was well developed before the construction of the residential area by public transport. On 12 June 1893 tram the New Berlin Horse Railroad Company went into operation, by Friedrich mountain station ( today Frankfurter Allee ) led coming over Lichtenberg and Roeder space to err Institution Herzberge. The tram Berlin- Hohenschonhausen adopted on 22 October operational since 1899, on November 2, 1912 was followed by the tram route through the Roedernstraße ( now Karl - charging road and its extension ). The tram route through the Weißenseer path was added on July 2, 1927. This was part of the so -called northern ring which further led by Lichtenberg Weissensee towards Wedding. All routes are still in operation. You will navigate within the district of the tram lines M5, M6, M8, M13, 16 and 21.
As of January 14, 1953, a trolleybus ran in addition to the tram by the later district. The line O14 led by Loeper place on the Roeder place to Lichtenberg station. Later she was united with the O30 line and extended to a ring line. As a second line led the O41 ( 1960: O37 ) from the intersection of Lenin Avenue / corner Dimitroffstraße out on the Lenin avenue after Bürknersfelde and later on to Lichtenberg station. By early 1973, the Obusverkehr in East Berlin was reinstated and switched the lines on bus. In the 1980s, frequented the residential area two bus lines, the 30 as the successor of the trolleybus line O30 and the 56er. The latter came out of Weissensee and led over Storkower street, Lenin Avenue, Avenue of the Volcanoes, Herzbergstraße and Jacques Duclos Street (today Möllendorffstraße ) to the S-Bahn station Storkower road and served on its way large parts of the development area. After the fall of the lines were numbered 240 or 156, the 240 changed his route and ends since 1993 on Storkower S-Bahn station; of the 156 runs since 1994 directly from the Storkower road to the same S-Bahn station, the route via the Landsberger Allee and Roeder place was abandoned. The paths of the two lines in the district have since remained largely constant.