The commune is located in the department of Figeac Lot in the Midi -Pyrenees and is the capital of the cantons Figeac Figeac - Ouest -Est. With 9773 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011), the city is a regional center that lives mainly on tourism, agriculture and engineering. It lies on the GR 65, which largely the historical course of the French pilgrimage route " Via Podiensis " follows. Nationally known she is best known as the birthplace of the Egyptologist Jean -François Champollion, who deciphered by the translation of the Rosetta Stone hieroglyphs.
- 5.1 Economics
- 5.2 traffic
- 5.3 Public bodies
- 7.1 Literature
- 7.2 External links
- 7.3 Notes and references
Figeac is located on the southwestern edge of the Massif Central, north of the Lot Valley, on the right bank of the river Cele. The Cele opens between Saint- Cirq- Lapopie and Bouzies as a left tributary of the Lot. The next major French cities are Lyon ( 254 km) to the northeast, Toulouse ( 121 km) to the southwest, Bordeaux (209 km ) to the west and Montpellier ( 184 km) to the southeast.
Hôpital Saint -Jacques
The Hospital Hôpital Saint -Jacques was the treatment and care of the pilgrims on the Via Podiensis. Documented evidence is the existence of the hospital since the 13th century, the oldest still preserved parts date from the 18th century, when it was converted to a general hospital for the city and the surrounding area. Since 1998, it is awarded as part of world heritage by UNESCO " Camino de Santiago in France."
Way of St. James ( Via Podiensis )
In Figeac, there is next to a tourist office ( Office du Tourisme ), hotels and restaurants is also a campsite. In addition, several pilgrims' hostels (French gîte d' étape ) and private rooms (Find Chambres d' Hôtes ) in place. The path now leads north of the Lot Valley through the Causses of Quercy, extending between the valley of the Lot and Cele of. On this limestone plateau dominated by oak forests and barren sheep pastures. In Béduer the variant branches off through the valley of the Cele, while the GR 65 continues on to Cajarc the valley of the Lot. As a road link to Cajarc one hand there are the D662, which goes from Figeac directly into the Lot valley and then follows the northern shore. On the other hand, there is the D19, which branches off after about two kilometers from the D662 and performs on the plateau via Béduer after Cajarc. In the Middle Ages many pilgrims arc only once from the northwest to visit the Marian shrine in Rocamadour.
Culture and sights
Figeac carries the official title of city of art and history, which is awarded by the Conseil Régional Midi -Pyrénées, making it one of the 18 Grands Sites de Midi -Pyrenees. The Old Town has preserved its medieval character essentially. From the 13th to the 16th century, there are still many houses. The typical architecture consists of three storey buildings with arcades on the ground floor, behind which usually are shops. On the first floor the living quarters were, and the open attic was used for storage or stack space. In the living area frequently Gothic window shapes and a gallery can be found. On the facades we often find fantastic bay windows and ornate doors.
- This magnificent town house, Hôtel de la Monnaise, the former coin from the 13th century, now houses the Tourist Office and the City Museum.
- In the Musée Champollion the life and work of Jean -François Champollion is appreciated. The linguist and Egyptologist obtained by the translation of the Rosetta Stone and the associated decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics world fame. On the Place des Écritures (font Square) is an oversized copy of the Rosetta Stone, which was created by the sculptor Joseph Kosuth. The original of the stone is preserved in the British Museum in London.
- The round obelisk in the west and south of the city are known as the needles of Cingle and Lissac. They are each built on a cylindrical stone base and 14.5 and 11.5 meters high. The purpose of the monuments was lost. It is believed that they served as landmarks of lands or as an indication of the pilgrims.
- The Saint-Sauveur church belonged to the former abbey and was ordained in 1092 at the time of Abbot Hugh of Cluny. Despite the addition of side chapels in the 14th century and destroyed during the Hundred Years War and the Wars of Religion of the former plan was largely preserved.
- The Church of the Carmelites, at the entrance to the city near the hospital, is the last visible remnant of the former Carmelite monastery.
- The church of Notre -Dame du Puy is of Roman origin, but now has the typical form of the Carolingian basilica. It was rebuilt several times, most recently in the 14th and 18th centuries. The choir contains beautiful Romanesque carvings and a large walnut altarpiece to 1696.
Place of Écritures
Notre -Dame du Puy
Nave of the church of Saint- Sauveur
Economy and infrastructure
In addition to tourism and agriculture, there are two major companies in Figeac:
- Ratier - Figeac, founded in 1904, manufactures propellers since 1908 and was the first propeller manufacturers worldwide. Today the company is a supplier to the aerospace industry and provides, among other things, the propeller for the Airbus A400M ago.
- Figeac Aero produces assemblies and engines for the aviation and aerospace industry. The company experienced in recent years a strong growth through contracts with American manufacturers.
- Near the town there is a small airfield Aerodrome de Figeac - Livernon.
- The nearest regional airport is Aurillac, which can be reached via the N122.
- The nearest commercial airport is Rodez - Marcillac, which is served, including the Air France and Ryanair. About the D840 it is about 55 road miles away, in a southeasterly direction.
- Figeac is a SNCF station of the railway line Brive- la- Gaillarde - Toulouse.
- In September 2003, Figeac has introduced a free bus service. It consists of ten lines with 100 stops, which operate on three minibuses with 28 seats. In addition, a need for service in four regions outside the city is offered. Figeac is one of the smallest municipalities in France, which maintains such a transport system.
- At the French motorway network with the A20 motorway Figeac is connected via exit 56 Labastide -Murat and the D802, or the exit 58 Cahors Sud and the D653.
- Other roads are the N122, which ends coming from the northeast in Figeac, while the D840 leaves the Lot Valley in Capdenac and Figeac continues in a northwesterly direction. Furthermore, the D802 and the D662 Figeac leave in a westerly direction, while the D822 leads to the south.
- The University Institute of Technology Figeac is an institute of the University of Toulouse with the departments of mechanical engineering and manufacturing engineering, marketing, and social education.
- With the Lycée Champollion Figeac has a training center for education and vocational training programs, where over 900 students were taught by 150 teachers in 2009.
- The agricultural school Le vinadie was founded in 1979.
Personalities of the city
- Jacques -Joseph Champollion (1778-1867), called Champollion - Figeac, archaeologist and librarian, older brother of Jean -François Champollion
- Jean -François Champollion (1790-1832), Egyptologist and linguist
- Charles Boyer (1899-1978), French actor