Fisherman's Island is the name of the southern part of the Spree Island in the Berlin district of Mitte. Geologically it is in the fishing village of one of the elongated Talsandplateaus of glacial origin in the Warsaw-Berlin glacial valley. The north of the island was built because of the marshy subsoil until centuries later, and whose major part is now known as Museum Island. Generally, it is today the eight -acre area of the Spree Island south Gertraudenstraße understood as a fishing island, which is dominated by residential high-rise buildings since the 1970s. The eponymous neighborhood Fischer was in a smaller area at the south end of the island and is no longer maintained.
From 1237 to the territory belonged to the city Coelln, the 1709 combines with the adjacent Old Berlin. From the beginning it was the seat of the Berlin fishermen and boatmen families. By regulating the Spree and the Spree canal in the 17th and 18th centuries settled reinforced craftsmen from Holland and religious refugees from France here. The end of the 18th century incipient industrialization had a loss of importance of the trade result. This resulted in the early 19th century to a halt of construction developments and to preserve the existing buildings, including the last gabled houses of Berlin. The Fischerkietz developed into a poor man's quarters. In the 20th century the only largely untouched by the Berlin City - education and picturesque neighborhood was appearing as Fischerkietz with its old Berlin restaurants such as the walnut tree to the tourist attraction. The Fischerkietz consisted of a perpendicular scale road network of nine small streets and roads with a total of 16 different names until then. At the same time passed since the 1920 plans of the Berlin government, large parts of the old town, including the fishermen neighborhood, tear down, to make room for the redesign of the historic center of Berlin.
"But in the long run you will be the Berlin Old Town but neither as a residential city still able to save as a museum. The city, which [ ... ] will arise once here, is unromantic and traditionsarm, but hygienic and be economically rational "
These plans were followed up during the period of National Socialism, but were only partially implemented.
During World War II the local situation suffered no areal destruction. Fishermen road was " relatively well over the destruction of the bombing " gotten over. After former estimate 40-50 percent of the buildings could have been built Fisherman's Island again. In the land use plan from 1955 that is why the repair of buildings worthy of preservation has been set. The district, with all to be restored historical buildings should be rebuilt, preserving the street layout and the property boundaries as a residential area by 1965 according to the planning of the East Berlin government. Chief architect Hermann Henselmann commissioned in 1957, "Planning of urban reorganization of the district at the fishing neighborhood ." The concept of Hans Schmidt and Georg Münter combined the construction of four -storey buildings that would have been associated with partial demolition, with the restoration of the historic houses. But since 1955 took place in the GDR Building a shift towards strict economizing by industrial building and typed housing. After the plan to build up the center of the capital of the GDR had been decided in 1962, took place from 1964 to 1967, the redevelopment of Friedrichsgracht, Sperlingsgasse, Scharrenstraße and Brüderstraße in slab construction, according to plans of the offices to Heinz Graf Funder, with little regard for the historic site. The Ministry of Construction was followed from 1967 to 1968. Finally, in 1966 program was drawn up for the construction of the Berlin city center before the construction of residential high-rises in a ring around the city center. In the course of the following " demolition and reconstruction " the historic homes including 30 monuments, and six 21-story building in large -panel construction along the lines of the type WHH GT were discontinued on Fisherman's Island, built 18 apartments, each with 240 to 1973. The centuries- long existing road network has been eliminated except for the Roßstraße. and the Gertraudenstraße in terms of car-friendly city greatly broadened.
In his last years, the Berlin painter Otto Nagel documented in a pastel series farewell to the fishermen neighborhood, after 1955 called in vain, " to guard but repeated destruction and protect " the fishing island before.
In addition to a swimming pool, the restaurant Ahornblatt was 1971-1973 in extravagant architecture built as a social center of the residential area. Your demolition in 2000 to the establishment of a building line in conventional construction, Fisherman's Island Passage, was extremely controversial, because it enables outstanding example of modern architecture GDR disappeared. The new construction makes the historic street alignment of the horse, Petri, green and Gertraudenstraße again partially identified.
Opposite the southern end of the fishing island, separated by the western Spreearm and connected over the island bridge Roßstraßenbrücke and the Green Street Bridge, are listed buildings, including a replica of the 1967/1968 demolished in Broad Street Ermelerhaus. The island is connected to the east of the mill dam bridge at the center of Old Berlin west and on the Gertraudenbrücke at the Friedrich Werder.
The most famous residents of the old fishing island was the merchant Hans Kohlhase, Heinrich von Kleist as Michael Kohlhaas, a literary monument as " one of the most righteous at the same time appalling men of his time, " continued.
The fishing village of St. Peter's Church, view from the bridge orphans, 1952
High-rise building on Fisherman's Island with maple leaf in the foreground, 2000
Skyscrapers on Fisherman's Island, 2009