Flintshire ( Welsh: Sir y Fflint ) is a principal area in north-east Wales. Flintshire is also one of the thirteen traditional counties of Wales, has, as such, but other limits than the present Principal Area.
Flintshire is situated on the Irish Sea and the mouth of the Dee. Landside borders Flintshire to the east by England, on the west by Denbighshire and south to Wrexham. The main cities Connah's Quay, Buckley, Flint, Hawarden, Holywell and Mold. Local attractions include Flint Castle and the Castle Ewloe.
Since 1980 has been twinned with the town of Menden (Sauerland) in Germany.
Flintshire was originally a county and was founded in 1284, seven years after King Edward I began work on the castle Flint.
Flintshire, one of the thirteen traditional counties of Wales, until 1974, was a Welsh administrative county. The administrative county of Flintshire in 1974 abolished and divided between the District Rhuddlan, Wrexham Maelor, Alyn and Deeside and Delyn the newly formed county of Clwyd. In the administrative reform of 1996 Clwyd and its Districts were dissolved. From the District Alyn and Deeside and Delyn a new Principal Area Flintshire was formed. Flintshire has once again reflecting the status of a County.
Although Flintshire in North Wales is the poorest part of the whole Kingdom, Flintshire has a proud history of sports and athletes. In Wales, two sports are mostly played: football and rugby. In North Wales football is more popular and that is why many football players come from Flintshire;
- Ian Rush - Chester City, Liverpool, Juventus, Newcastle United and Wrexham
- Gary Speed - Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United, Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield United. He was also manager of Sheffield United and the Welsh national team.
- Kevin Ratcliffe - Everton, Cardiff City and Chester City. He was also manager of Chester City and Shrewsbury Town.
- Michael Owen - Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United and Manchester United
Today, two football clubs playing in the Welsh Premier League ( Welsh league ). GAP Connah 's Quay and Airbus UK. Since c.2008 the prestige and power of the Flintshirer teams has risen a lot. Airbus UK has possibly completed in the 2012/13 season in 2nd place.
- Jade Jones - Olympic champion in Taekwondo
- Ricky Walden - Snooker player