- 4.1 Vorderberg
- 4.2 plate
- 4.3 In Klosterli
Coat of arms
The district is located on the southwestern slopes of Mount Zurich. The area extends from the universities (University of Zurich and ETH Zurich ) above the city center to above the highest point of the mountain beyond Zurich. Towards Schwamendingenstrasse The height difference between the bottom and the highest point is about 230 meters.
Early history and community
The earliest finds date from the Iron Age and the Romans. Colonized the area was by the Alemanni. Written Fluntern was first mentioned in 876 as Flobotisreine.
In 1127 was built on the mountain Zurich the Augustinian monastery of St. Martin. In 1525, it was resolved as a result of the Reformation. Today various corridor designations and the restaurant Old Klosterli remember its location. Built in 1938 Catholic Church of St. Martin in the Krähbühlstrasse continues the tradition of Martin Patroziniums.
Viticulture was for centuries the most important commercial Fluntern. Large parts of its territory to over 600 meters in height were vineyards, but had to give way to the expanding city more and more.
The old church at the front hill dates from the year 1763 1887 was on the Allmendfeld -. Replace the small cemetery on the plate from the year 1787 - the Fluntern Cemetery created, where many famous personalities should be buried in the sequence.
1893 came the autonomous community of the city of Zurich. Even earlier, urban life in Fluntern had spread, after the edge and partially also in the field Flunterns ETH buildings, the University, the University Hospital and other hospitals had arisen. The other end of the quarter, the Allmendfeld Fluntern developed into a popular destination for city dwellers. Always on up withdrew the villas, the Fluntern made to one of the Nobel quarters of Zurich. 1920, the new church was built by the city of Zurich Fluntern architect Karl Moser.
A tram line runs from 1895 to the church Fluntern, since 1924 up to the Allmendfeld Fluntern, today the Zoo stop. Until 1919, respectively 1938, the trams drove through the Moussonstrasse and Zurich mountain and Plattenstrasse; at the upper end of the Moussonstrasse the direction was changed by means of a hairpin. Above the church Fluntern was formerly a tram depot.
The flat bottom part of the district at the universities (ETH and University of Zurich ) is referred to as a plate. Above is on the ground next terrace of the mountain front, the center Flunterns. To the north lies the mountain background. The Allmendfeld Fluntern is on the unforested part of the ridge, but partly belongs to Hottingen. Klosterli is the piece of the Allmendfeld called that runs on the northeast side of the hill to Schwamendingen.
As the center of the district is considered the front mountain, now a close traffic junction, where along with trams and buses that cross the mountain roads leading to the main road along the slope leading connection. As an island in the middle of traffic flow are three old houses. The inn was first mentioned in 1640 and served as a community center, next to the town meeting was held, and until 1761 as a school room. The north adjoining Nageli house dates from the year 1726 1962 should have soft group of houses a remodel of the place.; residents Flunterns but defended themselves against the demolition and the voters of Zurich decided in 1963 to preserve.
Next to it is the old church Flunterns, which was inaugurated in 1763 as a house of prayer, and only in 1862 by a ridge turret was a bell tower, after it had been previously raised in the parish church. Around the group of houses, there are several shops and a school house.
For quite a new redesign of the front mountain is required because the district center is dominated by motorized traffic since the 1960s and there is no free space.
The term Vorderberg of the upward area is now increasingly replaced by the name of ITR stop church Fluntern.
The former farming village on a terrace above the city of Zurich was mentioned around 1650 as uff the leaf for the first time in writing. From the mid 19th century, was built near the university district strongly influenced why the plate was soon known as the Latin Quarter. It created numerous inns and guest houses and in 1879 a theater. The plate theater showed mainly comical, but also Völkerschauen.
From the old quarter panel, are some houses at the bottom Zurich mountain road. The area is dominated now built buildings of the University Hospital and the universities and from 1956 sister skyscraper.
The residential development in Klosterli, today surrounded almost entirely from the zoo, consists of 27 single double family homes. The 1937 by Erhard Gull ( 1895-1970 ) created houses should meet the crisis of the 1930s, the need for affordable home ownership for the middle class. The houses in the style of classical modernism are south facing and have a distinctive pitch roof. Since 2006 they are listed buildings.
In the field of Fluntern there was in the Middle Ages already two church buildings: The Leoba Chapel on the Zurich mountain to the one shown to annual pilgrimage 1225-1524, and the monastery of St. Martin, which was created in 1127 as a subsidiary of regulated Augustinian Canons 1523 or 1525 and was dissolved during the Reformation.
At the present time there are Fluntern three churches: the Evangelical Reformed Church has two churches:
- The Old Church Fluntern (formerly Meeting House ), which was built in the years 1762-1763,
The Roman Catholic Church is represented in Fluntern with the parish of St. Martin:
- The church of St. Martin is located on the Krähbühlstrasse lies and was built in 1938-1939, by architect Anton Higi as a central building.
With the two universities, numerous hospitals and research facilities such as the Swiss Meteorological Institute, the numerous jobs are located in the district especially in the sectors of education / research and public health. Industry there is not in the noble district.
Sport and Leisure
The Allmendfeld Fluntern still has an important significance for the city population as a destination and place for leisure. In addition to the sports facilities of the universities and the forest, especially the Zurich Zoo is an attraction that can annually attract nearly two million visitors.
The Fédération Internationale de Football Association has its headquarters, the Home of FIFA on the Allmendfeld Fluntern.
Fluntern is accessible by the tram lines 5, 6, and trolleybus line 33 of the Zurich transport services. Buses from Dübendorf on Gockhausen end at the church Fluntern ( Front Mount ).
Many residents of the neighborhood are disturbed by the use of private cars: Weekdays many commuters use the road over the Adlisberg as an alternate route, and travel on the weekends many zoo visitors arrive by car. The southern approaches to Zurich airport charge to residents in parts of the district. A cable car from Dübendorf train station to the zoo, to be an attractive alternative to the car for long tram ride from the city center, is currently in the planning phase.
- Nora Barnacle (1884-1951), companion and later wife of writer James Joyce, is considered a model of Molly Bloom in Ulysses, buried in the cemetery Fluntern
- Maximilian Oskar Bircher -Benner (1867-1939), physician, nutritionist and inventor of Birchermüeslis
- Elias Canetti (1905-1994), writer, buried in the cemetery Fluntern
- Johann Heinrich Fierz (1813-1877), textile industrialist, National Council, Envoy of the Swiss Federal Council at the opening of the Suez Canal in 1872 and president and founder of the share Bauverein
- Therese Giehse (1898-1975), German actress, buried in the cemetery Fluntern
- Fiona Hefti ( born 1980 ), Miss Switzerland 2004
- James Joyce (1882-1941), writer, buried in the cemetery Fluntern
- Mary Lavater- Sloman (1891-1980), writer, buried in the cemetery Fluntern
- Eduard Osenbrüggen (1809-1879), German -Swiss criminologist and legal scholars, buried in the cemetery Fluntern
- Friedrich Ris (1867-1931), Director of the Department Rheinau, significant dragonflies researchers
- Prof. Carl Schroeter (1855-1939), pioneer of nature and landscape protection, and one of the founders of Geobotany
- Gustav Adolf Wislicenus (1803-1875), German Protestant theologian and author regarded by the Bible, for thinking readers
- Zoelly Heinrich (1862-1937), Mexican -Swiss engineer, known primarily for the development of the steam turbine ( Zoelly turbine) and the turbine-powered steam locomotive