The monastery Foigny ( Fusniacum ) is a former Cistercian abbey in the village of La Bouteille in the thiérache in the department of Aisne, Picardie region in France, ten kilometers north east of Vervins on the banks of clay.
The monastery was founded in 1121 by Bernard of Clairvaux and Barthélémy de Jur, Bishop of Laon, as a third daughter house of Clairvaux Abbey Primary. First abbot was Rainaud. The church was already consecrated in 1124, hereby combines the famous Flying miracle that was picked up in the artistic representation ( Monastery of Chiaravalle Milanese). Approx. 1150 to 1170 a new church was built, the plan was excavated in 1959. 1150 to Bartelemy de Jur moved back to the monastery. Over his grave a chapel was built in the 19th century. Another chapel was built over the grave of Alexandre monk, said to have been a Scottish king's son. In the 13th century had the abbey, which had up to 300 monks, lands to the extent of 12,000 ha and 13 Gran Gien. The Abbey was the mother monastery of Kloster Bohéries. In Laon is still the town house of the Petit- Foigny. From the 14th to the 17th century, the monastery suffered damage in the event of war; and it fell in Upcoming. In the 18th century, extensive restoration work was carried out. In the French Revolution came in 1791, the end of the Abbey, at the time had nurmehr 11 monks. 1793 the monastery was converted into a military hospital and sold a little on demolition later. A portal was re-erected in the church of Étréaupoint. Also a part of the woodwork comes in the chapter house of Saint Martin in Laon from the monastery.
Buildings and plant
The second church was 98 meters long, had a narrow rectangular choir and a 50 m wide transept with three side chapels on both sides in the East. It corresponded so exactly to the plan of Clairvaux II Today, no more residues are locally available practically.