Forcalquier is a commune with 4707 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Alpes- de -Haute -Provence, Provence- Alpes- Côte d' Azur; it belongs to the district of Forcalquier and is the administrative center of the canton of Forcalquier.
Forcalquier is located between the Montagne de Lure and Luberon. The municipality is part of the Regional Natural Park of Luberon.
In the Middle Ages Forcalquier was the county town of Forcalquier.
See also: List of Monuments historiques in Forcalquier
- The Citadel Notre Dame de Provence (1875 ) and her manual carillon
- Notre -Dame du Bourguet cathedral
- The Church of St -Jean
- The Franciscan convent Les Cordeliers (13th century)
- The monastery of Les Visitandines (17th century)
- The municipal museum
The public space of Forcalquier is ad-free since 2009.
Forcalquier maintains a partnership with the northern Italian town of Guastalla.
- David balloon ( b. 1969 ), a cartoonist
- Olivier Bauza (born 1970 ), comic book writer
- Édouard Thomas Burgues de Missiessy (1756-1837), Admiral
- Raoul Dufy (1877-1953), painter
- Pierre Magnan (1922-2012), writer