Fort Nelson (British Columbia)
Fort Nelson is a town (german Regional municipality ) in the Province of British Columbia. The city is the capital of the Northern Rockies Regional District and is situated east of the Rocky Mountains in the Peace River region on the Alaska Highway 454 km, at an altitude of 410 m above sea level
1805 established the North West Company on the today's city a trading post. Fort Nelson was named in honor of Horatio Nelson, a British admiral.
The granting of local autonomy for the church on April 8, 1971 ( incorporated as the Village Municipality ).
The census in 2011 showed a population of 3,902 inhabitants for the settlement. The population of the settlement has thereby decreased compared to the census of 2006 at 13.6%, while the population in the province of British Columbia at the same time grew by 7.0%.
According to the Köppen climate classification and Geiger climate on the border between Dfc and Dfb is classified.
The municipality is situated on the Canadian portion of the Alaska Highway, Highway 97 begins in addition, the settlement of the Highway 77 run together, these two then northwest to separate after about 25 km.
Located 7 kilometers to the northeast of the community is the 1941 built Fort Nelson airport.