Framo is a former automotive brand under which in the 1930s, commercial vehicles and small cars were produced. After the Second World War, the IFA could continue to produce universal vans under this brand until 1957.
In 1923, Jørgen Rasmussen Skafte the metal works Frankenberg / Saxony. The company had its headquarters in the former Train barracks in Frankenberg and put motorcycle accessories such as saddles, couplings and carburetors for the nearby DKW ago. 1927 from the combination of a motorcycle with a floor of the robust and cost DKW Express vans (type designation TV 300 ) was prepared as a motorized tricycle and successful fast. This was followed by several further developments such as the types ZW 200, LT 200, LTH 200 and LTH 300 From 1933, the works gradually laid with now 700 employees after Hainichen where Rasmussen had acquired the former factory buildings of combing and spinning, as the Reichswehr, the former wanted to reactivate Frankenberger barracks. Although the factory was no longer resident at origin, the metal works were renamed on 1 January 1934 in Framo -Werke GmbH; the name was an acronym of the former manufacturing site Frankenberg and engine plants. Starting this year, people also small car came with air-cooled DKW built-in motors and front-wheel drive in the offer: First, there was the three-wheeled vehicle Stromer FP 200 with two wheels in front and one rear wheel and a streamlined body. The successor Piccolo Piccolo VH VH 200 and 300 had four wheels and a first closed bonnet similar to the Tatra a cooler dummy was 11 later installed. In three years, a total of only about 1070 copies were sold of the three series, however.
In 1938, the first new four-wheeled transportation utility vehicle of the V 500 with an engine of 500 cc and a power output of 15 hp on the market. The top speed was 60 km / h By 1943, still followed by numerous other vans. The result was based on the Schell Plan of Unit Type 650/2 (V 501). As of October 1, 1943 Framo had to take arms production. For example, components for PAHs and smoke launchers were produced. Therefore, the operation was in 1945 almost completely removed as a defense contractor. Hans Rasmussen, the then managing director, was arrested by the Soviets and died on 21 September 1945 in the internment Toszek.
Fresh start in 1946
After the Second World War, a new chapter in commercial vehicle production began in Hainichen: With fewer workers initially opened a repair shop for the still existing but not ready to drive brand cars Framo. Additionally, much needed items for your everyday needs, such as hand carts, ovens and potato baskets made . The company was nationalized on April 17, 1948, incorporated little in the automotive industry association later. From 1949 vehicles were produced again in 1951 began the export. For available spare parts and on existing machines, the pre-war model V ( now as V 501/2 ) was 501. The three-quarter ton truck was equipped with a water-cooled two-cylinder Zweitaktmtor, who made 15 hp. In 1951 with the V 901, the first new development on the market. From 1954 worked systematically to a completely new successor under the name " L1" because a study of the research and development work of Karl- Marx-Stadt 1951 auswies the basic concept of both types to be completely overhauled. As a visible sign of a complete new start was made in 1957 renaming of the earlier mark in Framo Barkas. The main production was moved the following year to Karl-Marx -Stadt and combined with the motor works and the car works; the type Barkas B 1000 ( with a two-stroke engine with 900 cc displacement and 43 hp) started in 1961 series.
The end of the Barkas -Werke
With the turn of VEB was converted to the Barkas GmbH. The THA was looking for the Barkaswerke a new owner, who was then with Volkswagen found. VW presented at the time but with the VW T3 already a similar vehicle manufacturers. The Barkas - production was stopped on the 10th April 1991. The employees were very generous severance packages for the prevailing conditions. The plan was initially the production of a VW model as in the Volkswagen plant in Zwickau.
When the setting of the production, it was decided the project of a shift of production to Russia arose. Of the former production managers everything was packaged, documented and provided with Russian translations. After the production of documentaries and the machinery had been brought up to date for about four million DM, everything was packaged in 40 large containers. Several investors have backed out, however, ultimately no one could afford the shipping cost to Russia. On 10 January 1994, the project was declared to have failed. The Trust was then scrapped everything. Thus ended a traditional vehicle production; at the various production locations 2,300 people were unemployed.
From the Barkas - work of Karl -Marx-Stadt, the Chemnitz engine plant of Volkswagen Sachsen GmbH. Every day here produce 1,100 employees 3000 and 4000 engines transmissions and other drive components.
Technical data of the Framo cars
- L2 = 2 -door sedan
- Cb2 = 2-door convertible
Framo V 901/2
Framo V 901/2 (1958)