After she had begun a study of English literature, she discovered the law for himself and was after graduation for 15 years as a prosecutor. They rallied from petty crime to felony lot of experience should be included in her later novels.
A marriage, which consisted of long periods of separation - and ultimately failed - she managed finally to write. First she wrote romantic short stories for women's magazines, but 1988 was her first detective novel with her most famous heroine Helen West, a London criminal lawyer. To hide their writing activities of their professional lives, they chose as a pseudonym the maiden name of her mother, Fyfield. Most of the books of Helen West series were filmed.
Three other novels also act by a representative of law, the Attorney Sarah Fortune, during her last novels were no more series. Some psychological thriller published them in the first half of the 90s under her real name Frances Hegarty.
- This small, deadly knife. DTV, Munich 1992 ( A Question of Guilt, 1988, nominated for the Edgar Award)
- Fire fox. DTV, Munich 1991 ( Trial by Fire, 1990; U.S. Title: Not That Kind of Place)
- Deep sleep. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1991 ( Deep Sleep, 1991)
- Night terrors. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1993 ( Shadow Play, 1993)
- A clear conscience. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1996 ( A Clear Conscience, 1994)
- Against her will. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1997 ( Without Consent, 1996)
- Shadow in the mirror. DTV, Munich 1991 ( Shadows on the Mirror, 1989)
- Red frenzy. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1994 ( Perfectly Pure and Good, 1994)
- Raven brood. Hoffmann and Campe, Hamburg 2006 (Looking Down, 2004)
- Safer Than Houses, 2005
- Cold to the Touch, 2009
- Blind Date. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1999 ( Blind Date, 1998)
- Dark flow. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 2001 ( Undercurrents, 2000)
- An evil suspicion. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 2002 ( The Nature of the Beast, 2001)
- Only he who is free from sin. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 2004 ( Seeking Sanctuary, 2003)
- Mrs. Nan's recipe. Two mysterious stories. Europe, Hamburg 2004
- Dark Water. Weltbild, Augsburg 2008 ( The Art of Drowning, 2006)
- Blood From Stone, 2008
- In the nursery. DTV, Munich 1992 ( The Play Room, 1991)
- The wrong Madonna. Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg 1993 ( Half Light, 1992)
- Fire dance. Bertelsmann, Munich 1996 ( Let's Dance, 1995)