Malik used, among other system-theoretical and cybernetic approaches to analysis and design of management systems. He taught previously at the University of St. Gallen and there is Associate Professor of Economics with special emphasis on corporate governance theory.
Malik studied from 1968 in Innsbruck and from 1970 in St. Gallen Economic and Social Sciences. He completed his studies in St. Gallen with a doctorate in 1978 held there the habilitation of Business Administration and the granting of the Venia Legendi. Since 1977 he has directed the Management Zentrum St. Gallen (now Malik Management Zentrum St. Gallen AG). From 1978 to 1986 he was Associate Professor of Business Administration with a focus on business management at the University of St. Gallen. From 1979 to 1984 he was also a member of the Directorate of the Institute of Business Administration at the University of St. Gallen. He worked for many years together with his supervisor Hans Ulrich, the founder of the St. Gallen Management Model. From 1981-1982 he was a visiting lecturer at the University of Innsbruck. In 1986 he was appointed as Adjunct Professor in St. Gallen. From 1992-1997 he was a visiting professor at the Vienna University of Economics. He is a member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts since 2009 and awarded the Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art.
Him the " Heinz von Foerster Prize" was awarded for organizational cybernetics at the University of Hagen in January 2010.
Malik analyzed in the context of management cybernetics in an interdisciplinary complexity of methods based on different scientific approaches. He is heavily influenced by Peter F. Drucker, one of the avant-garde of management theory, and Vienna by philosophers such as Karl Popper and cybernetics as Norbert, Heinz von Foerster, Frederic Vester and Stafford Beer. Among other things based the " Malik Sensitivity Model Prof. Vester ® after " on the basics of Frederic Vester.
Malik is the author of numerous writings on management theory, general management, strategy and human resources development. It seeks in particular to an effective management action and applies the Cybernetics to the management practice.
Since 1984, Malik is an Austrian Honorary Consul for the Swiss cantons App. AR, App. IR and St. Gallen.
Writings (selection )
- Edited by Mr Hentsch: System -Oriented Management (1973 )
- With Peter Gomez, Karl -Heinz Oeller: System Methodology: foundations of a methodology for the research and design of complex socio- technical systems ( 1975 dissertation)
- Edited: practice of system-oriented management: Festschrift for the 60th birthday of Prof. Dr. Dr. hc Hans Ulrich (1979 )
- Management Systems ( 1981)
- The management of complex systems strategy (1984; extended habilitation thesis, 1978)
- With Daniel Stelter: risks of crisis in the world economy (1990 )
- Systemic Management, Evolution, self-organization (1993 )
- Management Perspectives ( 1994)
- Effective corporate governance (1997), later as The New Corporate Governance
- Run - Blocks - life. Effective Management for a New Age (2000)
- Hazardous Management Word - And why you should avoid them (2004)
- Effective Top Management ( 2006)
- Series: Management: Mastering complexity. Campus Verlag, Frankfurt / New York Volume 1: Management: The nuts and bolts of the craft. 2007 ISBN 978-3-593-38285-2.
- Volume 2: corporate policy and corporate governance. 2008, ISBN 978-3-593-38286-9.
- Volume 3: Strategy: Navigating the complexity of the New World. 2011, ISBN 978-3-593-38287-6.