Fries Berg district is situated at the foot of the Uetliberg mountain in the city of Zurich in Switzerland. The neighborhood is part of the formerly independent municipality Wiedikon, which was incorporated in 1893 and now forms the city 's 3rd district.
Coat of arms
The name Friesenberg has no geographical reference to the area, but goes back to the knights de Vriesenberch which the castle on the Goldbrunnegg inhabited in the 13th century, a part of the edge of the Uetliberg. About knights and very little is known: The castle was one of the endpoints of the Letzigrabens that led to the Hardturmstraße on the Limmat river, with both built in, as well as the exact year of the destruction of the castle are unknown. The written references are limited to inventories and land registers, where in 1317 - is already being reported by the Postal Friesenberg - nearly 100 years after the first mention. The place where lie the ruins of the castle Friesenberg today, changed in the following 600 years, quite a few times from owner to owner until it passed into the hands of the City of Zurich in 1902.
At this time, the entire upper part Wiedikons was still undeveloped and comprised only individual farms and a number of clay pits. From 1880, a construction boom captured the remaining free space of the Sihlfelds ( Werd and hardware in Aussersihl, as well as lower Wiedikon ), which was completely built up to about 1910 on the Graveyard Sihlfeld. After these land reserves had been used up, 1930 has started in a first wave trying to build over the top of Wiedikon. For the new settlement area on Uetliberghang below the castle ruins and beyond the Uetlibergbahn established at this time for the first time the term Friesenberg. A second construction wave swept the region after the Second World War and about 1970 the whole area was already overbuilt with the exception of the former clay pits. Where once stood the clay pit, originated in the meantime, industrial and commercial district, the Binz.
Northwest borders Friesenberg along the Gratstrasse ( on the Uetliberg ) to the communities Stallikon and Ringlikon past Hohenstein ( a clearing with a tea house ) down to the city Triemli, which is also located on friesenbergischem ground. Northeast reflects the Birmensdorferstrasse to Heuried the border to the quarters Albisrieden and Sihlfeld and between Heuried and Laubegg to Alt- Wiedikon. Southeast it runs briefly along the Sihl to the new Uetlibergtunnel the A3 motorway and is finally back up to the ridge of Uetliberg, the right of the Czech case. The quarters Wollishofen Leimbach border south to Friesenberg.
The main streets are, inter alia, the Schweighof, Birmensdorfer, Friesenberg and Üetlibergstrasse. Friesenberg can be divided further, the main areas are Friesenberg, Albisgüetli and Heuried, others are Döltschi, Kolbenhof and Binz.
A large area of Friesenberg on the slopes of the Uetliberg is forested. There are a variety of smaller and larger ways. Slightly below the tree line are the target and panorama with a very nice view of Zurich.
In Albisgüetli are the (Restaurant ) Protect house with a firing range, where every year takes place the Knabenschiessen and slightly below the Road Traffic Office in Zurich.
The former castle mill might have heard already in the 12th century to the first suspected castle Friesenberg. From 1387 to 1436 it was owned by the Aeppli, then the monastery Oetenbach, on the Werdmüller of Zurich, who had been asking all vassals. 1602, the castle mill was purchased by the previous feudal family Bosshart, they lived until 1813 when it was superseded by the Good family. Until 1800 she was the only farmhouse Fries Mountain and here, in 1871, the first frieze Berger economy was opened.
The numerous housing estates on Friesenberg are majority-owned by housing associations, in particular the family home Cooperative Zurich, which significantly shapes the district since its creation in the 1920s.
In Friesenberg there are two churches:
- The Evangelical Reformed Church has the church Friesenberg, which was built in the years 1941-1947 according to plans by Muller and Freytag, Thalwil. It is in close proximity to the Catholic Church.
- The Roman Catholic Church is represented in Friesenberg with the Church of St. Theresa. This church was built in the years 1931-1933 and is regarded as an early example of the modern church architecture in Switzerland and the most consistent design in the formal language of the Bauhaus style by architect Fritz Metzger. The church has frescoes by Richard Seewald from the year 1946.