Friesland is a landscape on the North Sea coast of the Netherlands and Germany. Namesake, the Frisians. Translations in local languages : Westlauwers - Frisian: Fryslân; North Frisian: Fraschlönj / Friislon; Sater ( Ostfriesisch ): Fräislound; East Frisian Low German: Freeland; Gronings: Fraislaand; Dutch: Friesland; Danish: Frisland
At this landscape Friesland are as follows ( from West to East ):
- West Friesland in the Dutch province of North Holland
- The province of Friesland in the Netherlands ( Frisian name: Fryslân )
- In Lower Saxony: Ostfriesland
- Of Friesland district and the city of Wilhelmshaven in Lower Saxony ( Oldenburg Friesland).
- The former, of storm surges divided Rüstringen today: Butjadingen, Urban land, Frisian Wehde, Varel ( the latter two are now part of the district of Friesland)
- The North Sea island of Helgoland
- North Frisia
- Bremerhaven - Weddewarden
Historically were also other areas of today's IJsselmeer to the mouth of the Rhine and the Groninger Ommelande ("Little Friesland " ) to Friesland. Friesen also populated also areas that are not counted as Friesland or have been, such as the British Isles.
Many Frisian associations and institutions have now joined the Inter -Frisian Council.
History of Friesland
- Großfriesisches Empire
- Frisian - Frankish wars