The monastery Fultenbach was a former Benedictine monastery in Wood 's home in Bavaria in the diocese of Augsburg.
The St. Michael consecrated monastery was founded in 739 by Bishop Wigbert of Augsburg. During the Hungarian incident 955 it was destroyed and then, probably refounded in the first half of the 12th century. The monastery is in any case mentioned in 1162 as Vultenbhach documented. In 1130 the Augsburg Bishop Hermann authenticated the renewal of the foundation by the Augsburger canon Gebino. This summoned monks from St. Blaise, put himself at the head of the abbey and endowed it with a rich gift. Pope Victor IV freed the pin 1162 from the Bishop's rule. The Bailiwick was in the 13th century in the possession of the Lords of Burgau, but wanted to unlawfully enrich themselves at the monastery goods. Therefore King Adolf instructed the Counts of Oettingen to protect the monastery. 1346 was the Bishopric of Augsburg by the acquisition of the screen Bailiwick of Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian enforce sovereignty over Fultenbach. After the death of Abbot Ulrich Frey the diocese moved in the monastery in 1449, but put it in 1471 to restore. The sovereignty over Fultenbach was always controversial between the bishopric and the Margraviate of Burgau. It is admitted in 1557 the Margraviate of the Augsburg bishop the right to protect and shield on the monastery only on the condition that the " sovereign's magisterial " will not be affected. As a result of over-indebtedness Fultenbach came under the administration of the monastery Neresheim and 1777 the monastery of Ottobeuren. 1794 originated in Fultenbach a priory which was dissolved in 1803 in the wake of secularization. 1811 were monastery ( built 1683-1700 ) and Church ( built 1716-1733 ) canceled. The monastery library was transferred to the library of the Lyceum in Dillingen.
List of abbots
- Gebino ( 1130)
- Ulrich Frey ( 1449 )
- Georg assistant (1471-1503)
- Boniface Daniel (1683-1700)
- Magnus Schmid (1700-1723), Baron of wave Steiner made in 1716 by Johann Jakob Herkomer build the new baroque monastery church.
- Michael Schiele (1723-1765), alchemist
- Amandus Seser (1765-1773) could not stop the financial ruin. In desperation he turned in 1772 to the Swabian Benedictine Congregation for help. 1773 took over Neresheim, 1777 Ottobeuren administration.
- Sixtus Bachmann (1754-1825)