Gau- home ( to 1896 only, or home ) is a Rheinhessen municipality in the district Alzey- Worms in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality of Alzey -Land. Gau- Home is recognized as a basic center in accordance with state planning.

  • 2.1 Amalgamations
  • 3.1 municipal
  • 3.2 mayor
  • 3.3 partnerships
  • 4.1 Music
  • 4.2 Structures
  • 4.3 Natural Monuments
  • 4.4 Regular events
  • 5.1 traffic
  • 5.2 Education
  • 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
  • 6.2 Other persons who are connected with the community


Geographical location

The village is situated on the small river Selz of here meanders along the Petersberg. The nearest towns are Alzey ( 8 km), with headquarter offices competent for the place ( county and community association management ) and Woerrstadt (12 km). The state capital Mainz 30 km away is easily accessible via the motorway 63. As an important wine-growing community Gau- home located in the largest wine-growing district of Germany and driving middle of the wine growing region of Rheinhessen. Because of its proximity to the Rhine -Main area, the locality is influx community and therefore has many new areas and new citizens.

Neighboring communities

Community structure

Center Gau- home and the village of Gau- Köngernheim. For the district of Gau- home includes the living spaces rock cellar, Weinheimer and Wester lap.


To 496 under the name Ottersheim a Franconian village and royal Frankish domain with Castle. Between 600 and 1187, the village is owned by the bishops of Metz and from the 9th century pilgrimage. During this time was also begun viticulture operated on the southern slopes of the Petersberg since 850. Until 1282 the place was owned by the lords of Bolanden. In 1268 the great possession of the Lords of Bolanden between Thunder Mountain and the Rhine was divided. Among the descendants of later broke from an open feud, one of here has lost his life involved. At the site of the battle at Ottenheim, as then Gau- home was named, on the border of the divided country, a so-called penitential cross was erected. In the Middle Ages but nobody wanted to have to do with a penitential cross something such a place was shunned and was scary. Thus came the Otten Cross into oblivion. It was gone under ground, bushes and thorn hedges was sought for a long time and finally exposed again. By 2008, it was to visit on the right side of the road from Gau- home to Hille home. After several attempts to steal the Otten cross, it was secured in 2008 and is made ​​since 2013 in the left part of the funeral parlor to the cemetery of Gau- Home under protection and to visit at any time.

By awarding of Rudolf von Habsburg received now in place in 1286 or Home renamed rich urban liberties which they held until 1579. 1315 was the place to Kurmainz and 1407 consistently pledged to Electoral Palatinate. Thereafter Or home belonged as an official town until 1797 in the Palatine time to Oberamt Alzey.

Famous for its late-Gothic church furniture Master Erhart Falckener lived according to a signature work of 1510 in Or Home. It is believed that he and his companions had found abundantly work here because on August 1, 1479 the entire village was burned to six houses. Even before 1731 the gentlemen Sturmfeder of Oppenweiler had the lordship over or home.

The fortification was canceled 1826-1828. A new Jewish cemetery was created Bechtolsheim direction on a hill to the Petersberg 1848. During the railway construction in 1896 or home was renamed Gau- home to avoid confusion with, or home to avoid the Glan. At the same time Köngernheim was renamed Gau- Köngernheim.

Gau- home belonged to the germ cells of Nazism in Rheinhessen. 1938, praised the community, " the first place in Rheinhessen to have been, in which the idea of Adolf Hitler had already taken 1923 and 1924 feet over the years and from where it was carried on in the near and far ". Just six months before the seizure gave the town on 25 May 1932, the honorary citizenship to Adolf Hitler.


Since 7 June 1969, the district Gau- Köngernheim belongs to the local church.


Parish council

The local council in Gau- home consists of 20 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.

Allocation of seats in the elected municipal council:


  • Jacob Keller, 1798-1823
  • Heinrich Schneider, 1825-1837
  • Michel Brand, 1837-1851
  • Jacob Weber, 1851-1871
  • William Brand, 1871-1898
  • Edmund Diehl ( National Liberal Party ) 1898-1923
  • Karl Brand, 1924-1929
  • Heinrich Ritter ( NSDAP) from 1929 to 1933
  • Georg Becker 1933-1935
  • Johann Kraus, 1936-1943
  • BC 's field, 1943-1945 ( executive)
  • Karl Brückner April, bis November 1945
  • Gg. Eckel, 1945-1948
  • Heinrich Mildenberger (SPD ), 1948-1972
  • William Beck ( SPD), 1972-1984
  • Karlheinz flag ( SPD), 1984-2004
  • Bernd Westphal (SPD ), 2004 to June 9, 2013 †
  • Heiner Illing (SPD ) since September 22, 2013 ( previously as acting as first Councillor )


The partnership with Pulnoy ( in the French department of Meurthe -et -Moselle in Nancy) was officially sealed on 12 July 1982, the friendly relations already exist since 1980.

Culture and sights


  • Concert 1985 e.V Gau- Home
  • Glee club " Eintracht " 1842/1912 eV


  • The town clerk house is one of the most beautiful and best-preserved half-timbered houses in the old center Gau- home.
  • The Gothic church simultaneous Gau- Home is in the middle separated by a wall in a Catholic and a Protestant part. The Protestant community used the nave of the church and the Catholics hold their services in the choir. The Catholic part is called " St. Rufus Church "( by Rufus of Metz), the Protestant " former city church. "
  • The Gasthaus " Zur Krone " is also a well-preserved half-timbered house. It adorns the Gau- Odernheimer sub market. It was still possible here to book a few years ago & Breakfast. The days when it was a real guest house are over a bit longer.
  • The Petersberg hall was built in 1990 as a multi-purpose hall.
  • Other attractions continue to count the old castle tower and the old school building.

Simultaneous left church evangelical, catholic right

Hall of Gau- Home

Gasthaus "Zur Krone" in Gau- Home

Wine shop Hubertushof ...

United ... the wineries Cancer Grode

Upper Market at night

Peter Berg Hall

Natural Monuments

In the vineyards on Gau- Odernheimer Lieberg you will find the largest collection of wild tulips north of the Alps. At its peak in mid to late April organized by the local conservation group each year, the wild tulip festival on their nature adventure playground ( near TSV - site ).

Regular events

  • Carnival procession on Shrove Sunday ( every five years, including 2013)
  • Wild Tulip Festival
  • Vineyard hike at Petersberg, on Ascension Day (since 2009)
  • Gau- Odernheimer market ( end of September)
  • Christmas Market on Saturday before the first Advent

Economy and infrastructure

The community is mainly dominated by viticulture and agriculture. In addition, located at the site, a car dealer, four grocery stores and two butchers. One of these two butchers was honored by the magazine The Gourmet the best butcher 2004 in 2004. In 2006, the sausage the same butcher was chosen by the Zentrag to one of the four best meat sausages in Germany.

Also located at the Gau- home is the three -time winner of the multimedia competition, the state government of Rhineland -Palatinate in the years 2001, 2002, 2005/2006, including a school management system for the schools of the district Alzey- Worms, and a cafeteria - control program for all-day schools.


Transport links can be used for the size of Gau- home as very well be called: The A 63 is on the junction Biebelnheim after about 4,5 km to reach and also the connection point Alzey A 61 is of Gau- home only 6 km away. The A 63 connects Gau- home with Mainz and Kaiserslautern. Ludwigshafen on the Rhine and the Rhine- Neckar can be reached via the A61. To the north is the A61 connecting to Koblenz, Mönchengladbach and to the Netherlands.

Gau- Home has indeed (see Amiche and railway Osthofen - Gau Odernheim former railway lines ), but all buses driving a rail connection more of Mainz and Worms Alzey, keep in Gau- home, ie the bus connection can be regarded as acceptable. On a former railway track in Gau- Odernheimer area has a local relief road was built in 2005. In the resulting four roundabouts because now sometimes sarcastically called Gau- Gau - gyro or home.


  • Primary school Gau- home: The primary school was nominated in January 2013 by the Robert Bosch Foundation and awarded in June 2013 as one of the best elementary schools with the German School Award, and received a cash prize of 25,000 euros.
  • Secondary school at the Old Palace (formerly: Elementary and secondary school Gau- Home )


Sons and daughters of the town

( in chronological order )

  • Edmund Diehl (1857-1923), mayor of Gau- home and Member of Parliament
  • Henry Knight (1891-1966), the first Nazi Mayor in the People's State of Hesse in 1929, followed by, among others, 1942-1945 Mayor of Mainz
  • Edmund Philip Diehl (1894-1955), Member of Parliament (NSDAP )
  • Ernst Mayer, former principal of the elementary and secondary school Gau- Home, the author of the local chronicle volumes 3 to 5 carriers of the Medal of Merit of the State of Rhineland -Palatinate and the Golden Badge of Honour of Gau- Home
  • Jürgen Stark ( born May 31, 1948 the district of Gau- Köngernheim ), Member of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank
  • Ernst Walter Görisch (* 1949 in Marloffstein ), District Administrator of the Alzey- Worms
  • Oliver Drexler, multiple martial arts world champion
  • Rheinhessen wine princesses Annette Koch; 1985/1986
  • Alexandra Becker born Kneib; 1999/2000
  • Eva penitent; 2001/2002
  • Kathrin Paukner; 2006/2007

Other personalities who are connected with the community

  • Count Ludwig III. by Arnstein (1109-1185), Premonstratensian Monastery and founder, is revered as Seliger. He died in 1185 in the defunct monastery Gommersheim whose district is now one of Gau- Home
  • Jobst II Reuber (1542-1607), Owner of the property or home, lawyer and the Electoral Palatinate Chancellor
  • Karl Schilling 1920 to 1937 worked as a physician in Gau- Home


In the local dialect is called Gau- home " Orem ", with long -drawn "O" and not accented " e ".