Gavignano is a municipality in the province of Rome in the Italian region Latium, located about 1932 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012).

  • 4.1 Town twinning
  • 5.1 Regular events


Gavignano is located 60 km southeast of Rome in the northern part of the Monti Lepini, on a hill overlooking the Sacco Valley. The municipality borders on Paliano, Anagni, Montelanico and Segni. The municipality belongs to the district Rossilli.


Gavignano is 8 km from the Anagni exit on the A1 motorway Autostrada del Sole from Rome to Naples.

The nearest train station, Anangni - Fiuggi, on the railway line Rome - Cassino - Naples, located 5 km from the center.


The municipal area, near the Via Latina, it was in Roman times several country mansions. In the Middle Ages the town from the year 1000 has been built on. Bear witness is Gavignano to 1161 as Castrum Gavinani in a document by Pope Alexander III. As a fief he belonged to the counts of Segni. 1495 Gavignano was destroyed by the troops of King Charles VIII, and rebuilt under the Cardinal Francesco Conti in the first decades of the 16th century, but destroyed again in 1557 during the Italian campaign of the Duke of Alba. In 1597, Cardinal Pietro Aldobrandini Gavignano granted self-government. Before 1816 the place belonged to the Pamphili and Aldobrandini.

The community living from agriculture (cereals, olive groves and vineyards ), there is a mineral water factory ( Fonte Gabinia ) and craft shops.


Source: ISTAT


Claudio Sinibaldi ( civil list) was elected in June 2009 for the mayor. He took over from Carlo Tiberi, who did not run.


  • Hungary Nőtincs in Hungary

Culture and sights

The town has a medieval town center, from which protrude the larger building Palazzo Baiocchi, Palazzo Traietto and the Castello. The city gates are the Porta Romana in the north and the Porta Napolitana in the south.

  • In the center stands (also known as Palazzo Aldobrandini or Corte ) the Baron's Castle. The medieval building was destroyed in 1495. Under Cardinal Pietro Aldobrandini, the Castello was the end of the 16th century, its present form.
  • Palazzo Traietto - The building was built by the Lords of Anagni at the beginning of the 17th century. It was decorated with frescoes by Federico Zuccari.
  • In the district Rossilli are the remains of a Roman villa with mosaics. This was probably destroyed in 455 by the Vandals. At the same location a Benedictine abbey was built in the Middle Ages between the 8th and 9th century, in a bull of Pope Lucius III. First 1182 is attested. In the 12th century, the monastery passed to the Basilian. Get the three-aisled monastery church, which was restored at the beginning of the 17th century.
  • Fonte Meo - a well-known since Roman times source.
  • Gavignano has several churches, the parish church of Santa Maria Assunta, the patron saint of the place consecrated Chiesa di San Rocco and the Chiesa del Calvario.

Regular events

  • Festa di Sant'Antonio - fixed with a traditional horse racing in the first week of July
  • Agosto Gavignanese - Festival in August with cultural program, Sagra dei maccaruni alla gavignanese (local pasta specialty), on 14 August procession in honor of the patron saint San Rocco
  • Procession of the Madonna delle Grazie - hard and procession, October 2 to 3


  • Pope Innocent III. was born around 1161 in the Castello dei Conti di Segni as a Lothario.