Gavrilov -Jam (Russian Гаврилов - Ям ) is a town in Yaroslavl Oblast (Russia) with 17 791 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The city is located about 45 km south of Oblasthauptstadt Yaroslavl at the Kotorosl, a right tributary of the Volga.
Gavrilov -Jam is the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons.
The city is at an endpoint Semibratowo north Rostov branches off from the Trans-Siberian Railway 20 -kilometer-long railway line.
The place was first in 1545 as a settlement Gawrilowo on the former lands of the Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius 7 kilometers from Rostov - Suzdal mentioned tract removed (as tract army, postal and commercial highways were in the old Russia called ). The name is derived from Gavriil, popularly Gavrila, Russian for Gabriel.
1580 place Gawrilowski Jam is called, indicating the presence of a Jam, which were referred to in the Russian relay horses enclosure for postal stations or the stations themselves. Later the place Gavrilov - Yamskaya sloboda was, since the end of the 18th century Gavrilov - Jam.
On August 5, 1922, the city received the status of an urban-type settlement and on December 26, 1938, the city law.
Note: Census data (1939 rounded)
In addition to a linen mill, founded in 1872, there are two machine shops, a printing company, and companies in the building materials industry and the food industry.
One of the machines is the AGAT factories founded in 1968, today Aktiengesellschaft, among other things, Manufactures components for aircraft engines.