The Gelsenkirchen mountain camp was a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration camp in Gelsenkirchen -Horst.
In this outer bearing about 2,000 Hungarian Jews were in the summer of 1944. The laborers should be used on the premises of Gelsenkirchen Benzin AG to remove rubble. With heavy bombing attacks on the hydrogenation plant in September 1944, about 150 of them were killed, a few survived seriously injured in Gelsenkirchen hospitals.
520 women were transferred in August 1944 to Essen in the sub-camp Humboldt Street. After the dissolution of Gelsenkirchen mountain camp in mid-September 1944, a majority of the remaining women in the camp to the satellite camp Sömmerda in Thuringia for forced labor at the company Rheinmetall -Borsig AG was spent.
With the history of the camp they relate Gelsenkirchen center, a documentation center for urban and contemporary history in Gelsenkirchen.