Geoagiu (Hungarian Algyógy, German Gergesdorf ) is a small town in Romania in Hunedoara County.
Geoagiu situated on the river Mureş ( Maros ) at an altitude of 217 m. The eponymous river Geoagiu opens at this point in the Mureş. A railway line and the circular road (drum Judetean ) DJ 705 Geoagiu connect with the European route 68 The Romanian Motorway A1 will, when it is finished, run in the field of small town.
The first information about the existence of the town go back to the time of the Dacians in the first millennium BC, as in the area a number of archaeological discoveries have been made. On the basis of many historical theories is the name of the fortress Germinsana, which was built after the Roman conquest in the 2nd century AD, Dacian origin. The fortress was built on another old Dacian citadel.
The name translates as Germisana Hot water ( germi = heat, sara = waterfall ) and points to the already known the Dacians thermal springs in the area that have been explored by the Romans in more detail later and developed.
The first mention of Geoagiu place in the year 1291st The name was used in a document that is adjacent to a plot in Bintinti ( now called the village Aurel Vlaicu ).
At the beginning of 1397 was Geoagiu residence of a great noble good. The last owner of the estate was János Corvin, son of Matthias Corvinus, the land belonged to 1506. Then it went into the possession of the Hungarian king. A year later, on 5 December 1507 it was donated to Radu the Great, ruler of a Romanian principality, to his wife Anca and her son Vlad. During this period, the importance of Geoagiu increased, because in 1510 the town received its market rights, since this is where a curia, that is the home of nobles was.
From 1517 it was owned for only 14 years of the Romanian prince Neagoe Basarab; he was managing the place by the nobles appointed by him Horvat and Cioara.
In 1531, King John Zápolya secularized monastic possession Geoagius. Together with 18 villages in the area, he endowed the place with his seat of power in the middle of his most devoted army leaders kun Kocsárd.
After the union with Romania on December 1, 1918 the former noble possessions and some adjacent lands were formed into a rural district Geoagiu.
In June 2001 Geoagiu was officially appointed as the first place of Romania in the new millennium the city.
The town has about 3000 inhabitants, with the surrounding eingemeindeten villages there are about 5000.
The city derives its revenue through the production of agricultural products and tourism.
- The ruins of the Roman fortress west of the city on the border of the village Cigmău.
- An old Roman road of Geoagiu after Geoagiu - Băi.
- A Roman thermal spring in Geoagiu - Băi, which was connected by an existing terracotta water pipe with the lock.
- The Natau Lake is a paradise for anglers. The summit on an adjacent hill of the lake is an excellent vantage point.
- Churches: The church of Bozeş from the 15th century, the Christian Paleo - church from the 12th century and the town church Geoagiu from the 15th century.