Geotargeting (synonyms: Geolocation / geolocation ) assigns IP addresses or IPTC / XMP their geographical origins.
Although IP addresses can not always be clearly assigned to an Internet user for procedures such as dynamic IP assignment, proxy servers, or NATs, however, always an owner. This is often for Internet providers, universities and other institutions that manage not only one IP address, but the same single addresses. The owner of IP can decide which network nodes which he allocates address. Although the allocation in principle, can be changed quickly, it is usually so that this option is rarely exercised, not least because of this resulting administrative burden is not to be underestimated.
So is even the geo an IP address is known, one can assume that this is also weeks later date. Since regional POPs often have their own fixed IP address pool, the method also works with dynamic IP assignment, where network nodes AOL apparently make an exception in this case. Even when using proxy servers of the site can maximally plane that server, but can not be determined which of the actual user.
Geointelligence goes one step further: Here is the knowledge of where the Internet user comes, associated with rules that are based on the geographical origin of the Internet user. When an Internet visitor from Germany to a Web site, it receives content other than a simultaneous visits the same website from France or the U.S..
IP intelligence extends the purely geographical perspective to qualitative factors such as connection speed or the identified ISP of the user. A cable network provider may make use of and visitors to proactively submit targeted exchange offers, must make their own information without the visitor.
- Most online advertising firms now offer their customers based on the geolocation circuit nationally or even regionally differentiated ads ( ad targeting). Visitors will see ads that - regardless of the location of the called page - address their current location as a target market.
- Webcontrolling provider Geointelligence integrate into their products to enable a geographical visitor analysis. The website operators can therefore see from what countries and regions, the visitors come from.
- PayPal uses geolocation to protect against fraud, to monitor online payments to regional discrepancies and excludes transactions that appear from sanctioned countries to come (according to the OFAC list).
- Loudeye Inc. uses geolocation in market research to better reflect regional differences in demand, and optimize our own direct marketing.
- DidTheyReadIt as e -mail service provider not only offers information on whether a message has been opened, but where this has happened ( e- mail Location).
- DigitalEnvoy offers the databases to all IP addresses used and products, check which e-mails to geographical plausibility. These products compare the geography of the e- mail header with that of the e- mail body geography. Suspicious e- mails, if necessary, blocked or passed to routines to protect against phishing.
- Each video -on- demand provider must use Geointelligence as sports associations and film publishers prevent the exploitation of their content to territorial boundaries. Examples include CinemaNow and Disney.
- E4X uses Geointelligence to automatically deliver e- commerce site visitors the right currency.
- Google and many others personalize their offerings by leading the user automatically to the page in the user's language.
- Content distribution networks to optimize the load balancing between its servers by Geointelligence. The company saves costs and offer better download by traffic management.
- For semi-automated telemedical care or supply systems, the Geo - localization of patients (currently field studies, especially for emergency care, such as myocardial infarctions ) is a necessary facet of all possible localization techniques. Even simple applications are being tested, such as the rapid localization of a specialized treatment center.
- Chain store companies can assign visitors to its website with the help of geolocation an appropriate branch.
- YouTube has some videos due to licensing issues in some countries not to. This is indicated by means of a message (" This video is not available in your country ").
Quality of Geotargetingverfahren
The quality of the process is described by the following parameters: data completeness, data accuracy, performance and integration effort.
Data completeness describes how many of the IP addresses used in the world, the process maps. Reliable technology should cover 99.99% of the IP addresses in use.
Accuracy means how exactly the technology a single IP address of the region can attribute ( country, state, city). Possible target values are above 95 % at the city level. Substantially influence the share of AOL users within the target group of the offer, because the AOL network can be identified only at the country level reliable. Equally important are other parameters such as the identification of proxies, corporate servers and bandwidth, longitude and latitude, domains.
The performance of says how many requests per second per server can afford the procedure. A poor performance not only leads to higher system costs, but affects the internal use of the service quality significantly.
The integration effort stating whether it is possible to integrate the processes for more than one application, and how much is the cost for the technical integration in the alternative system environment.