Geraldton is a city in Western Australia, about 424 km north of Perth. With about 31,350 inhabitants, Geraldton is the fifth largest city in Western Australia. Today the city is an important fishing, sheep farming, quarrying, wheat and tourist center. Geraldton is also an important port.
The first Europeans who explored the area was George Grey the discoverer Augustus Gregory in 1839. Ten years later traveled through this region. He found a vein of gold in the first Murchison River. The mine, which was then opened, was named Geraldine after the Governor Charles Fitzgerald. The town of Geraldton was established in 1850.
In 1922 opened the first regular airline of Australia in Geraldton Western Australian Airways. Target point was Derby.
1916 was the start of construction of the construction of the St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, which was not completed until 1938.
In a survey with a beautiful view of the city, a memorial to the victims of the HMAS Sydney was built. The light cruiser disappeared with his entire crew north-west of Geraldton after a battle in the Second World War with the German auxiliary cruiser Kormoran and its wreck was discovered north of Geraldton until 16 March 2008.
Geraldton has dry, hot summer and a mild winter. The climate is determined firstly by the humid air, due to its location on the sea and the other by the dry winds from the outback.