View of Glarus
The town of Glarus (French Glarus, Glarus Italian, Romansh Glaruna, latin Claruna ) is a municipality (until 2010 local church, now united community ) and the capital of the eponymous canton of Glarus in Switzerland.
Glarus is located in the geographical center of the eponymous canton at the Linth and at the foot of the 2,300 m high Vorderglärnisch. The highest point of the municipality is the 2914 m high Bächistock that belongs to the massif of Glärnisch. Neighboring communities are the towns of Glarus Nord, Glarus Süd and Muotathal and Innerthal (both Canton Schwyz ).
First mentioned in writing is the place Clarona in the 8th century in a life story of the martyrs Felix and Regula. By the end of the 14th century included large parts of the Glarus to the Monastery Säckingen until loskauften the inhabitants thereof. 1387 the first rural community took place, an institution that is still here today and will be held usually on the first Sunday in May. For main town of Glarus Linthtals was by resolution of the rural community in 1419, since a long time the only church of the valley stood. 1506-1516 was the later reformer Ulrich Zwingli, pastor of Glarus.
During the Helvetic Republic (1798-1803) was capital of the canton of Glarus Linth. In 1861, a raging fire destroyed large parts of the town. Few buildings from the period before the fire remained in the city. The reconstruction took place very quickly after an urban plan that resembles a checkerboard pattern. This known mainly from the United States city planning was chosen in order to prevent further such conflagrations.
Mayor 's Christian Marti (FDP, as of 2012). The council are members beside him six more members. The new municipality of Glarus forms a district constituency, which represents 19 of the 60 councils Glarus.
The once important textile industry is almost completely gone. There prevails today wood and plastics industry as well as fabric and book printing. The service sector has become the main industry. Largest employer is now the Canton Hospital with about 450 jobs. Tourism is also gaining in importance.
Landmark of the city is the neo-Romanesque parish church of Glarus architects Ferdinand Stadler.
- Since 1799 the Russian General Suvorov made a stopover in Glarus, Glarus maintains a little-known partnership with Kobryn in Belarus. Today, the former mayor Heinrich Aebli operated there as an aid worker.
- Since 11 January 2009 is twinned with Wiesbaden- Biebrich in Germany.
- Heinrich Aebli ( born 1933), 1985-2002 Mayor of Glarus, today development workers
- Marcel Bernasconi ( born 1940 ), jazz pianist
- Pierangelo Boog ( b. 1957 ), artist and illustrator
- Maria Anna Brunner (1655-1697), Benedictine nun and abbess
- Frieda Gallati (1876-1955), historian
- Anna Goeldi (1734-1782), " last witch of Europe", executed in Glarus
- William Nicholas Hailmann, American educator
- Eveline Hasler ( born 1933), writer
- Walter Haug (1927-2008), medievalist
- Joachim Heer (1825-1879), Chief Magistrate and Federal
- Hössli Heinrich (1784-1864), writer, champion of the " Men Love»
- Johann Melchior Kubli (1750-1835), politician, " whistleblower " of Anna Goeldi - judicial murder
- Milt Bernhard (1896-1956), physician and medical historian
- Patrick Mitidieri ( born 1975 ), rapper
- Yvan Pestalozzi ( b. 1937 ), a sculptor in metal
- Urs Sonderegger (* 1964), race car driver
- Rosli Streiff (1901-1997), skier
- Aegidius Tschudi (1505-1572), historian and politician
- Johann Jakob von Tschudi (1818-1889), naturalist, explorer, linguist and diplomat
- Jacob Wäch (1893-1918), painter
- Jürg Wickihalder (born 1973 ), jazz musician and composer
- Joshua doubt (1854-1895), explorer, discoverer of the Niger sources
- Ulrich Zwingli (1484-1531), reformer (1506-1516 pastor in Glarus )