- 4.1 Glass 2600 V8 3000 V8 ( 1966-1968 )
- 4.2 takeover by BMW
The family-owned farm equipment factory glass was founded in 1883 in Pilsting. As in the 1940s drove demand for agricultural machinery, the company was forced to reorient themselves. Due to the great success of the Vespa in Italy, the company also expected in post-war Germany a demand for scooters. Therefore, under the leadership of Junior Chef Andreas glass began developing a scooter that went with a 123 cc two-stroke engine of the ILO engine plants in series in July 1951. The scooter was named after a grandson of Hans glass with the nickname " Gogg ". The Goggo scooter proved to be solid and sturdy and was the best-selling scooter in Germany (about 60,000 ). From 1952 he was also with 148- cm ³ - offered and 197- cc engine and with sidecar, and from 1953 as a three-wheeled scooter with load various superstructures. In 1956, a glass building of scooters after the economic basis was established for the auto industry and the bicycle boom came to an end. Agricultural machinery were sold under the brand Isaria.
Glass Goggo scooter
Glass Goggo scooter
Glass Goggo scooter
Glass Goggo scooter without a starter, 200 cc
1952 glass started developing a small car. From 1955 offered glass for the price of 3000 DM to the thought for a family of four Goggomobil branded Goggomobil. In the following years, various versions created this vehicle with a maximum of 20 hp and 400 cc.
Since the Goggomobil in the art and its overall concept, its German rivals, the Messerschmitt bubble car, the BMW Isetta, the Lloyd and the Heinkel cabin was superior, the Hans Glas GmbH has established itself in the market. One year after the start of production exported glass to 36 countries. Daily 170 vehicles were produced. 1957 by a glass coupe version of the Goggomobil and a van and a pick -up truck.
Expansion of the product range
Nevertheless, the Goggomobil was nothing more than a small car, and as such it was not so popular with the increasing prosperity. Glass thus had to expand the model range.
1958, the company brought to market the Isar, which became known as the great Goggomobil. It was powered by a 600 cc two -cylinder four- stroke boxer engine that made 19 horsepower. Later, a wagon version and a model with 700 cm ³ were built and 30 hp. Due to initial defects in the success of the vehicle was moderate. In 1965, the production was stopped.
Glass in 1004, 1204, 1304
1962 put glass in front of a new four- cylinder engine. With 1000 cubic inches and 42 horsepower put this represents a modern engine design and was the first mass-produced automobile engine with a timing belt to drive the camshaft. This engine gave the redesigned coupe S1004 sporting qualities. The vehicle was primarily in the later deliverable TS variants with standard up to 85 hp on race-tracks very successful and was considered the Porsche of the little man. In contrast, the body was rather conventional to getting used to the eye. The program was later extended with a sedan and a convertible. From 1966 offered glass with the CL version of a hatchback. Since the engines were bigger and stronger, glass was a serious competitor to other vehicle manufacturers. The models available were glass in 1004, 1204 and 1304 and were produced until 1968.
Glass 1300 GT, 1700 GT
In 1963 glass at the IAA in Frankfurt, the sports coupe glass 1300 GT and the 1500 sedan, which went into production in 1700 as a glass later before. Both models have been designed by the Italian designer Pietro Frua. Glass was so advanced into the upper price ranges, but for the company lacked the prestige and tradition. In 1967 the production of the sports coupe was discontinued.
The Glas 1700 was a newly developed sporty mid-size car. It was built from September 1964 to the end of 1967 in a quantity of 13,789 copies. Sleek lines and the timing belt using glass as the first manufacturer in engine design characterize this saloon. Originally known as glass 1500 with 51 kW ( 70 hp ) planned, the engine capacity had, inter alia, be increased by the appearance of the BMW 1800. In series of glass was 1700 with 59 kW (80 hp), later 63 kW (85 hp). In addition, still was a TS' version with 74 kW (100 hp). Following the acquisition of glass by BMW of glass in 1700 with BMW technology ( engine / transmission ) than BMW 1800 BMW 2000 GL and GL, built later than Facelift BMW 1804 and BMW 2004 in South Africa. The Glas 1700 is an absolute rarity today.
Glass 2600 V8 3000 V8 ( 1966-1968 )
At the IAA in September 1965, glass front of the glass V8. Its sleek shape, also drawn by Frua, earned him the nickname " Glaserati " one. However, it was only produced a small series. The production cost was too high and the overall cost structure of the company had developed unfavorably. This glass could not compete in the automotive market.
Takeover by BMW
Glass was for 9.1 million DM to a takeover by BMW, which took place on 10 November 1966. The glass automobile plants in Dingolfing were part of the Bavarian Motor Works. The glass models were taken over time from the production. The last model was 1969 Goggomobil from the tape. The glass GT was further produced as BMW 1600 GT with BMW engines and drivetrain in 1968. The glass 2600 V8 was upgraded and BMW 3000 V8 produced as glass / in small numbers until May 1968. The 1700s was produced as a BMW 1804 and 2004, with some amendments still in South Africa. A grandson of the founder, also Hans Glas and brother of the aforementioned " Goggo ", until his retirement in 2004 was plant manager of the BMW plant in Dingolfing. After a long illness he died on 23 January 2008 at 63 years of age.
The Goggomobil enjoys even today many fans. Near Dingolfing there are still some glass museums with many issued Goggomobil. The GLASS Automobile Club International eV (founded in 1975) supervised all existing glass - vehicles and their owners worldwide with information, spare parts, a club magazine and an Internet portal.
The passenger cars of glass are performed at the Federal Motor Vehicle Office under the manufacturer number 0598.