GMA Dove Award
The GMA Dove Awards are organized annually since 1969 one of the American Gospel Music Association Awards, are awarded at the outstanding achievements of artists from the field of Christian music.
The Dove Awards are considered the highest distinction of the Christian music scene and is often compared with the Grammy Award in the secular music industry. In 2004, the award was officially renamed the GMA Music Awards. However, the new designation could not prevail and therefore the well known name GMA Dove Awards in 2006 reintroduced.
Among the Dove Award winners, there are many outside the Christian music scene known and internationally successful artists such as Whitney Houston, Amy Grant, BeBe & CeCe Winans, Stacie Orrico, Mary Mary, Yolanda Adams, Michael W. Smith, Randy Travis, dc Talk, TobyMac, Third Day, Audio Adrenaline, Casting Crowns, and Take 6, which were won multiple Grammy Awards. Record holder with currently 56 Dove Awards, five-time Grammy Award winner Steven Curtis Chapman.
The Award is presented in different categories, which are subject to change over time. Some of the categories are:
- Song of the Year
- Songwriter of the Year
- Vocalist of the Year ( male and female)
- Group of the Year
- Artist of the Year
- New Artist of the Year
- Producer of the Year
- Rap / Hip Hop Recorded Song of the Year
- Rock Recorded Song of the Year
- Rock / Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year
- Pop / Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year
- Country Recorded Song of the Year
- Urban Recorded Song of the Year
- Traditional Gospel Recorded Song of the Year
- Contemporary Gospel Recorded Song of the Year
- Worship Song of the Year