Digging is a municipality in the administrative district of Upper Aargau canton of Bern in Switzerland.
Trench is 455 m above sea level. M., 4 km north of Herzogenbuchsee and 5 km west of the town of Langenthal and around 13 km from Solothurn ( straight line ). The scattered settlement, which does not have a distinct town center, extending on the gravel terrace to the east of Oenz, just before its confluence with the Aare, in the Upper Aargau.
The area of 3.2 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the northern Bernese Mittelland. The northern border is the river Aare, which flows here in an approximately 35 m sunk into the surrounding glacial gravel terraces valley. The main part of the municipality of spell is this high terrace ( on average 455 m above sea level. M. ) taken, which is bisected by a 200 m wide and also 20 to 30 m sunken valley of Oenz. To the south of the municipality floor extends into the extensive forests Tannwald and Gratwald ( 477 m asl. ); to the east is a Grundmoränenwalls of glacial Rhone Glacier with 480 m above sea level on the edge. M. reached the highest point of the trench. From the municipality surface 1997 6 % came from settlements, 35 % of forest and shrubs, 55 % to agriculture and a little less than 4% was unproductive land.
Graben consists of the hamlets Schwendihotel, Burech, Baumgarten, Chleiholz and Schörlishüseren (all at around 450 m above sea level. M. east of Önztals ) and Hubel ( 447 m above sea level. M. west of Önztals ) and some individual farms together. Neighboring communities of trench are Aarwangen, Thunstetten, Herzogenbuchsee, Heimenhausen, Berken and Bannwil.
With 305 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Graben is one of the small communities of the Canton of Bern. Of the residents 98.7 % are German, 1.0 % French-speaking and 0.3 % speak English (as of 2000). The population of trench amounted in 1850 to 325 residents in 1900 to 303 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population increased to 1990 from 262 people. Since then, a slight increase in population was recorded again.
Ditch was up in the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by agriculture village. Even today, agriculture and dairy farming, and forestry an important place in the economic structure of the population. Other important jobs in the local retail industry and the services available. Some of the working population commuters who work mainly in the region Langenthal - Herzogenbuchsee and in Wangen an der Aare.
The community is located off of the larger passage axes at a connecting road from Herzogenbuchsee after Bannwil. The nearest links to the A1 ( Bern- Zurich ) is located approximately 6 km from the town center. Ditch has no connection to the public transport network.
The territory of trench was settled very early, which could be detected by Silexfunde when Hubel and exploration of grave mounds from the Hallstatt period in Riedstiglenwald. The farm estate Stadönz near the mouth of the Aare Oenz 1220 is first mentioned under the name Stadonce. Ditch appears for the first time in 1430 in the documents.
Since medieval ditch was under the Lords of Oenz which occupied as vassals of the Kyburgs a small rule. By pledging reached the village in 1385 to the barons of Green Mountain ( Melchnau ), a service man narrowness bad the Habsburgs. Trench was purchased in 1432 by Bern and associated with the bailiwick Aarwangen. After the collapse of the Ancien Régime (1798 ), the village belonged to the district during the Helvetic Republic from 1803 to the cheeks and upper cheeks Office, which received the status of an office district with the new cantonal constitution of 1831.
Nuclear power station
Since 1972 trench was earmarked as the site for a nuclear power plant at BKW. However, the realization of the project failed, for example, to the strong opposition of the population of the region. On April 18, 1975, the Nonviolent Action trench ( GAG) was founded. One of the highlights of the anti - nuclear movement presented the " trench Festival" from 26th to August 28th, 1977 At this took some dar. 6000-9000 people. The project of the 1990s was finally discarded, however, only at the beginning (but the land was even then on the BKW - ownership ), BKW could now secure their electricity needs through nuclear power rights from neighboring France.
Since November 2008, the administrative management of the municipality is digging out of the municipality Bannwil.
In the hamlets of some characteristic farmhouses of the Bernese country style from the 18th and 19th centuries have been preserved. Trench does not have a house of God, it belongs to the parish Herzogenbuchsee.