Granada on the map of Nicaragua
Granada is the third largest city of the Central American state of Nicaragua, it is located 47 km south of the capital Managua on the west coast of Lake Nicaragua, it is also the seat of the department of the same name. Built in the colonial style city is also known as La gran sultana ( the fat raisin large raisin, colloquially ). The city lies at the foot of the 1344m high volcano Mombacho.
The city was founded on 8 December 1524 by the Spanish conquistador Francisco Hernández de Córdoba. During the colonial period, Granada was one of the most important ports in Central America with trade links to Cartagena, Guatemala, San Salvador, Panama and Peru. Important trade goods were cocoa and tobacco. With the trade route across Lake Nicaragua and on over the Río San Juan to the Caribbean of the trade continued to increase. Due to the growing wealth and conflicts of the Spaniards with England, Holland and France, the city was attacked at least three times by pirates. On June 29, 1665 by the pirate Jean David from Jamaica, he could plunder the city without any resistance. The Indian Pirate Gallardillo, in the service of England invaded the city in 1670. Eventually William Dampier on April 8, 1685 to fall for the third time Granada and set the city on fire, although in 1675 on the Rio San Juan in El Castillo a fort to defense against attacks had been built. In November 1856, the city was finally destroyed again during the Civil War by Charles Frederick Henningsen, a mercenary William Walker.
Importantly, tourism is because Granada even offers plenty of attractions and on the other hand, with its harbor is the starting point for tourism on Lake Nicaragua. There are numerous scheduled flights to various islands of the lake and to various coastal towns, sometimes even speedboat connections. The productive sector of the industry experienced a decline in the 80s and structural change, for example, with the demise of numerous tanneries.
- Cathedral: The cathedral was built in 1529 for the first time is one of the most important colonial Central America. The present building dates from 1880 and was renewed in 1905 for the last time. The original building was destroyed in the great fire of 1856.
- La Merced Church. Built 1781-1783 The exterior has a Baroque style, but the floor plan is assigned to the colonial style. It owes its name to its environment: it stands in the midst of the hustle market. This church was founded in 1856 on fire.
- San Francisco Monastery: It was founded in 1529 by Brother Toribio Benevante Moto Lina, a Franciscan ( OFM). Around 1835 it was used as a University, 1867-1868 it became the monastery. Since 1986, an exhibition of pre-Columbian statues and a museum for the architecture of Granada is housed here.
- Casa de los tres mundos: The former colonial building dating from the 16th century was restored by the Fundacion Casa de los tres mundos between 1988 and 1995. Today it houses the city archives of Granada and the International Cultural Casa de los tres mundos.
- Las Islets: The city offshore island group of over 300 very small islands that have arisen during an eruption of Mombacho. The Islets are a popular destination for Grana Dinos and tourists because of its flora, fauna and scenic beauty.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Ernesto Cardenal ( b. 1925 ), politician, writer and liberation theologian
- José Vicente Cuadra (* 1812 † 1894), president from 1871 to 1875
- Lorenzo Guerrero Gutiérrez (* 1900 † 1981), president from 1966 to 1967
- Germany Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Gualeguaychú Argentina, Argentina
- United States Tampa, United States
- United States Waukesha, United States