Grand Villard ( Freiburg Patois Le Granvelâ? / I ) is a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. The former German names long and wholesale Wiler Wiler are no longer used today.
Grand Villard is located at 762 meters above sea level. M., 8 km south-southeast of the district main town cop (air line). The scattered village extends on the alluvial fan of Tana (or Taouna ) on the eastern edge of the broad Talniederung the Sarine (French: Sarine ) in the Haute- Gruyère, in the Fribourg Alps east of the Moléson.
The area of 24.2 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the Upper Gruyère. The Sarine forms the western boundary. From here, the communal land extends eastward over the up to 1.5 km wide, flat valley floor, from which south of Grand Villard rise the hills of Les Cressets. The eastern part of the area includes the catchment area of the mountain stream Tana ( with a waterfall in the canyon east of the village ) and its right tributary Ruisseau du Marais. This secluded and heavily chambered area belongs to the landscapes of national importance. It is divided by several hard Kalkgesteinsschichten and intervening easier erodible clay and marl layers in a main chain ( border with the Canton of Vaud ) and three other parallel side chains, which are interrupted by the headwaters of the Tana. The boundary runs south on the heights of Les Milliets ( 1,886 m above sea level. M. ), Pra de Cray ( 2,198 m above sea level. M. ) and Vanil Carré ( 2,195 m above sea level. M. ), in East Pointe de Paray ( 2'375 m above sea level. M. ), Vanil de l' ECRI ( 2'375 m above sea level. M. ) and Vanil Noir ( 2,389 m above sea level. M. ), in the northeast on Le Van ( 1'966 m above sea level. M. ). From the municipality surface 1997 3 % was attributable to settlements, 27 % of forest and shrubs, 47% to agriculture and about 23% was unproductive land.
At Grand Villard include numerous individual farms and alpine huts. Neighboring communities of Grand Villard are skin -Intyamon, Bas -Intyamon and Val -de- Charmey in the canton of Fribourg and Château d'Oex in the canton of Vaud.
With 778 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Grand Villard is one of the smaller communities of the Canton of Fribourg. Of the 96.2 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 2.0 % and 1.0 % portugiesischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Grand Villard amounted in 1850 to 419 residents in 1900 to 566 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population fluctuated 480-560 people. Since 1980 (506 inhabitants) a significant population increase was recorded.
Grand Villard was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. There were since the late Middle Ages mills, saw mills and tanneries. Even today, the livestock and dairy industry ( for the production of Gruyère cheese ) and to a lesser extent agriculture an important role in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are in the local small businesses ( most notably wood processing) and services available. In the valley of the Sarine gravel pits are being exploited. Grand Villard is the site of a military property. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work in the region, Bull.
The community is conveniently technically quite well developed, even though it is off the major thoroughfares. From the main road from Bulle to Chateau d'Oex Grand Villard is reached via a short spur road. By Bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois that runs from Bulle to Grand Villard, the village is connected to the public transport network. On the western side of the valley of the Sarine in Villars -sous -Mont, the stop of Grand Villard ( 1.5 km away from the town) is on the railway line from Bulle to Montbovon, which was put into operation on 23 July 1903.
The municipality of Grand Villard was settled very early, as evidenced by Tumuli from the Hallstatt period and traces from the Roman period and the early Middle Ages. The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1228 under the name Vilar. Later Grueriam ( 1390 ), Villar ( 1399 ) and Communitas Magni Villarii retro Grueriam ( 1497 ) published the names Vilar retro. The place name is composed from the Late Latin word villare (village, hamlet ) and the French word grand (large).
Since the Middle Ages Grand Villard belonged to the rule Montsalvens, which formed a Kastlanei the county of Greyerz. From the 12th to the 14th century, a noble family of Vilar is attested. In 1462 the residents of Jean de Montsalvens were given the right to elect their mayor himself.
After the last count had made von Greyerz bankruptcy, Grand Villard was incorporated in the Bailiwick of Canton Fribourg Gruyères. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ), the village belonged initially to the prefecture and from 1848 to the district of Gruyère.
As part of since 2000 sponsored by the Canton of Fribourg municipal mergers Grand Villard should merge together with Enney, Estavannens and Villars -sous -Mont to the new community Bas -Intyamon. As the village population but spoke out against a merger, Grand Villard was a politically independent community.
The parish church of Saint -Jacques was 1935-37 built on the site of an earlier building dating from the 16th century; it has a valuable statue of Mary with child from the 14th century. Grand Villard (mostly from the 17th century ) preserved its picturesque townscape with many farmhouses in the Gruyère style. The Maison du Banneret (House of Venners ) dates of 1666 and the Maison Lucien Raboud of 1641. Located on a hill close to the Sarine river stands the chapel of La Daoulaz, which was erected in 1701 on the site of a Romanesque chapel.