The farm was built in 1831 by David Macneill Sr.. While Montgomery's childhood, the Court was the home of David Jr. and Margaret MacNeill (cousins of Montgomery's grandparents), with whom she spent a lot of time. For her 1908 published children's book Anne of Green Gables, she used the farm and its surroundings as inspiration. The name of Green Gables came from her and goes back to the green-painted gable.
In 1937, Prince Edward Iceland National Park was established, whose boundaries encompassed the land of Green Gables. Thus, the building became the property of the Canadian government. The surrounding farmland was converted into a golf course.
Because of its importance for the Canadian literary history was explained to Green Gables to a National Historic Site. The exterior of the building has changed very little over time. The interior of the house has been faithfully furnished to the Roman originals in the style of the late Victorian era and is open to tourists. Every year around 200,000 people Green Gables - of which date back to around 6,000 from Japan, where the Anne novels and the animated series based on Anne are especially popular with the red hair.