Life and work
He is a cultural critic, dealing particularly with the influence of popular culture on society. As a classic in this regard applies his book Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the 20th Century, which International and its influence on modern counterpart and underground culture deals with Dadaism, Lettrism and the Situationist.
Further publications are Mystery Train: Images of America in Rock 'N' Roll Music, about the early days of rock ' n ' roll and Dead Elvis, which deals with the phenomenon of Elvis cult since his death.
Marcus attended the University of California, Berkeley, where he graduated in American Studies and Political Science. He wrote the now legendary fanzine Who Put The Bomp, worked as a rock critic for Rolling Stone and other publications. His column " Real Life Top Ten" first appeared in the magazine " Village Voice ", then in " Artforum " and later the "Salon " and then the " City Pages ". He also published an interview column, which he named after the novel by Steve Erickson Days Between Stations. 1983 to 1989 Marcus was the chair of the U.S. " National Book Critics Circle Award."
- Rock & Roll Will Stand (1969 )
- Double Feature. ( Michael Goodwin )
- Mystery Train. Images of America in Rock 'N' Roll Music. (1975) German: Mystery train. The American dream in songs of rock music. Rowohlt, Reinbek 1981, ISBN 3-499-17249-6.
- German: Dead Elvis. Master, myth, monsters. Rogner and Bernhard at Zweitausendeins, Frankfurt / Main 1993, ISBN 3-8077-0284-9.
- German: Lipstick traces: from Dada to Punk - cultural avant-gardes and their paths from the 20th century. Rogner and Bernhard at Zweitausendeins, Hamburg 1992, ISBN 3-8077-0254-7.
- German: In the fascist bathroom. Punk under Reagan, Thatcher and Kohl; 1977. 1994 to Rogner and Bernhard at Zweitausendeins, Frankfurt / Main 1994, ISBN 3-8077-0284-9.
- German: the dustbin of history. About the presence of the past; a journey with Bob Dylan, Wim Wenders, Susan Sontag, John Wayne, Adolf Hitler, Elvis Presley, Bill Clinton, Miou Miou -, Umberto Eco, among others Rogner and Bernhard at Zweitausendeins, Hamburg 1996, ISBN 3-8077-0349-7.
- German: Basement Blues. Bob Dylan and the old, weird America. Rogner and Bernhard at Zweitausendeins, Hamburg 1998, ISBN 3-8077-0317-9.
- German: Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone. The biography of a song. Kiepenheuer & Petrovich, Cologne 2005, ISBN 3-462-03487-1.
- German: The Doors. Kiepenheuer & Petrovich, Cologne, 2013, ISBN 978-3-462-04510-9.