Griqualand East ( Afrikaans: Oos - Griekwaland ) was an independent territory and in consequence, a district of the Cape Colony in the east of present-day South Africa. It was named after the Griqua, who settled there. Today the area is part of the province of KwaZulu -Natal.
The people of the Griqua, hybrids of Khoikhoi and Buren, originally from the Cape region moved at the beginning of the 19th century, later in Griqualand West, from 1826 in Philippolis in today's Free State Province. When the pressure was too great by the Boers, moved a large part of them in 1861 under Adam Kok III. over Basutoland and the Drakensberg Mountains to the east. In 1863 they reached the " Nomansland " ( " No Man's Land " ) in Kaffraria, which had previously threatened by the Zulu Amapondo - Chief Faku left to the British authorities. The area was divided by the Umzimkhulu of Natal. The Griqua founded the city in 1872 and issued in 1874 Kokstad own coins. In the same year the British took the area under control. 1875 died Kok. 1877 annexed the Cape Colony, the area by the Griqualand East Annexation Act, calling it East Griqualand. The Griqua rebelled unsuccessfully; In 1879 the people were deprived of the recognition. Griqualand East consisted of 19,668 km ² (1891 ) 152 618 inhabitants, predominantly Xhosa. Main place was with Kokstad (1891) 2059 inhabitants. Griqua but still lived in the area. So moved 1927 trek under Andries Stockenstrom Le Fleur from Kokstad continued. A part of the area came in 1976 Homeland Transkei, while the remaining part stayed with the Cape Province. In 1994, the former territory of Griqualand East to the province of KwaZulu -Natal.