The Bull S. A. is a French computer manufacturer based in Les Clayes -sous -Bois, near Paris.
- Bull was founded in 1931 as H. W. Egli Bull founded in Paris in order to market the patents of Norwegian inventor Fredrik Rosing Bull.
- 1933 H. W. was Egli Bull renamed the Compagnie des Machines Bull ( CMB).
- First, printer and card punch were fabricated from 1951 computer.
- In 1960, the German branch was founded under the name Bull GmbH in Cologne Germany punch cards.
- From 1964 to 1970: merger with General Electric under the name Bull General Electric.
- From 1970 to 1975: merger with Honeywell under the name of Honeywell - Bull.
- From 1975 to 1982: merger with CII under the name CII - Honeywell - Bull.
- In the 1970s, the Ada 95 (ISO / IEC 8652 ) Programming by Jean Ichbiah at Bull was designed computer.
- In 1983, Bull the company R2E, the manufacturer of the Micral.
- In 1982 the company was nationalized under the name Groupe Bull and merged with other former French computer manufacturers in 1994 but re-privatized.
- 1989 Zenith Data Systems was acquired, but in 1997 sold again.
- 2000, the smart card division was sold to Gemalto.
- October 2008: acquisition of science computing ag, a German company with deep expertise in the integration of HPC solutions.
European and worldwide supplier
Today, Bull is represented in over 50 countries as the main European provider of open information systems and thus an important European representatives in Information Technology. In addition, the company is a specialist in the field of mainframe computers, such as the TERA 10th
In the 23 June 2009, published on the International Supercomputer Conference ISC2009 Top 500 list of the world's fastest supercomputers Juropa the system is - composed of Bull NovaScale and Sun Blades - listed among the top 10.
First petaflop computers are for 2010/2011 in Planning.
- GCOS mainframes: DPS 7000 and DPS 9000 for Bulls proprietary operating system GCOS ( GCOS 7 and GCOS 8 ) ( with CMOS ASICs)
- AIX Server: Escala based on IBM's Power processor ( are umgelabelte pSeries server from IBM). However, AIX is developed from one to 50 heads strong group of developers with Bull. The Power6 -based pSeries Entry / Midrange systems came also from Bull
- Intel Server: novascale bullion and Nova Scale Universal based on Intel Xeon. The novascale bullion supports up to 160 Intel Xeon processor cores and up to 2 terabytes of RAM and is used in large consolidation projects with VMware.
- Storage Solutions: OEM / reseller of EMC ², SUN StorageTek, NetworkAppliance, Brocade, Symantec, CommVault; next to specific storage solutions under the brand name Bull StoreWay
- Clusters based on Nova Scale with GPGPUs and the Bull Advanced Server for Xeon software suite for HPC or the Microsoft ® Windows ® HPC Server 2008
- Server: IBM, Intel, NEC
- Operating Systems: Microsoft, Citrix, VMware, Novell (Suse ), Red Hat
- Storage: EMC ², NEC, NetApp
- Open Source and Service - Oriented Architectures: Apache
- Business Intelligence and ERP: Microsoft, Oracle, SAP
- Security: Symantec
- Energy Efficiency Check: cooperation with TÜV Rheinland for greener data centers
Stand October 2011