Grumman G-44 Widgeon
The Grumman G -44 Widgeon (German: Wigeon ) is a twin-engine amphibious aircraft from U.S. manufacturer Grumman Aircraft.
History and construction
The commercial success of the Grumman G -21 Goose and the need for a smaller and cheaper version were the impetus for the construction of the G -44 Widgeon.
The prototype of the Widgeon was tested on June 28, 1940 by Roy Grumman and Bud Gillies in Bethpage (New York). On February 21, the first production aircraft of a scheduled 44- piece series block was delivered. Four of them were requisitioned by the United States Army Air Corps ( USAAC ), where they were designated OA -14. The second production block was reserved for the U.S. Coast Guard, there they were called J4F -1. The improved J4F -2 was delivered in 131 specimens between July 1942 and February 1945 the U.S. Navy. She served as a five -seater aircraft used for coastal patrol and anti-submarine defense.
15 J4F -2 were presented to the Royal Navy, where she first received the name of Gosling, but later used the U.S. designation.
Grumman in 1944 an improved G- 44A was delivered in January 1949 to further 76 copies. In France, 41 machines of the type G- 44A were under the name SCAN 30 built in La Rochelle by the Société de Construction Aéronavale ( SCAN) under license. Many Widgeon were upgraded in later years with more modern engines of the Continental W -670 or AVCO Lycoming 90 - 453A. McKinnon Enterprises conducted a reconstruction of the Super Widgeon, of the more than 70 units have been completed. This model had better AVCO Lycoming GO -480 engines with 201 kW B1D (270 hp) and on improvements to the hull structure and a longer range.
- Royal Navy
- United States Army Air Corps
- United States Army Air Forces
- United States Coast Guard
- United States Navy
Grumman G -44 Widgeon