The municipality covers 97 km ², the population density is about 67 inhabitants / km ². The municipality is situated approximately 26 km south-east of Perugia on the rivers Attone and Puglia and is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2243 GR / G. The place belongs to the Comunità montana Community Comunità Montana dei Monti Martano e Serano. The municipality is part of the associations National Association Città del Vino and the Associazione Nazionale Città Dell'Olio.
Among the districts ( Visualize )
- Barattano (454 meters altitude, is located about 17 south-east, about 25 inhabitants)
- Grutti (506 meters height is approximately 9.5 south-west, about 530 inhabitants)
- Marcellano ( 396 meters in altitude is about 10 south-east, about 430 inhabitants)
- Pomonte ( 461 meters altitude, is about 5 south-east, about 60 inhabitants)
- San Terenziano (505 meters height is approximately 8.5 south-west, about 100 inhabitants)
- Torri ( 450 meters altitude, is a 7 southwest, around 1000 inhabitants )
- And Ceralto, Cerquiglino, Cisterna, Colle Secco, Ponte di Ferro, Pozzo and Saragano.
The town was founded, according to legend as a castle ( Castello) of the Germanic Count Edoardo Cattaneo in 975 as Gualdum Captaneorum. The first part of the name comes from the Germanic word for forest (Soon ). 1071 fought the place on the side of Spoleto to Foligno, who could take the place under Barbarossa until 1177. Already in 1198 the place was back to Spoleto and submitted himself to them with the Papal States. Then the Trinci took over to 1439, the rule in place, which was then attached to the Papal States. 1493, Pope Alexander VI. the place as a fief to Foligno. After the French occupation of Italy by Napoleon the town is part of the Papal States until 1861 .. was again After the Unification of Italy in 1861, the population of about 3170 rose to 8000 in 1951. According to recent low in the 1970s, the population increased by 2010 to about. 6,000 inhabitants on.
- Chiesa di Sant'Andrea church from the 14th century in the district Marcellano, contains works by Andrea Polinori.
- Chiesa di Sant'Agostino, built by the Benedictine church of the 12th century, was acquired in the 13th century by the Augustinians. Contains works of the painter Andrea Polinori and a Crucifixion from the environment of Nicolò Alunno.
- Chiesa di Sant'Angelo Sconsolo, Ex - church in the district Marcellano that originated in the 12th century
- Chiesa dei SS Antonio e Antonino, church built in 1260th
- Chiesa di San Bartolomeo church in the district Barattano from the 13th century.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria d' Agello Church in Grutti from the 13th century.
- Chiesa dei SS Terenziano e Flacco, church in the district of San Terenziano from the 11th century.
- Castello di Barattano, castle dating from the 13th century.
- Castello di Grutti castle from the 12th century.
- Castello di San Terenziano, castle of the 14th century.
- Forte di Gregorio XII, 1415 by Gregory XII. resulting fortress in the district Pomonte.
- Rocca di Gualdo Cattaneo, from 1494 to 1498, built the fortress which was built by the rulers of Foligno over a previous construction of the Trinci family.